Vocal Cover - Helloween - Forever and One + Kamelot bonus

Rate this topic

Hey all!  

As a couple of months ago I told you, I am currently recovering from a nasty episode of GERD, and my voice has never felt as before. BUT, nothing will defeat my love for singing, so I've been training the hell out of my voice.

I remember some time ago Felipe posted a cover of this song and it was so cool that I thought I'd tackle it sometime as a challenge. I spent like 6 hours editing and mixing, haha, so I hope you like it guys.   And as a bonus, I'd also like to leave Abandoned by Kamelot . It is a very difficult song, but for totally different reasons than the other one.

EDIT: Someone knows how to make it an embed :c ?

In Forever and One, I mostly focus on vowel modifications. I try to keep the vowels as open as I can while curbing a lot, which leaves me vowels like AE, EH+EE and shades of UH all over the place. If you notice, almost all the more closed EH's around and above my passagio have a bit of EE, as it's pretty natural to me and it feels pretty comfortable :) 

In Abandoned, I focused mainly on the interpretation. Using a lot of dynamics, vibrato, and Roy Khan-ish stuff, haha.  I will never have his voice, but I love how he interprets this kind of stuff.

I hope you like it guys, and any opinion or suggestion you have I'd really appreciate it!

• Administrator

"EDIT: Someone knows how to make it an embed :c ?"

How to embed your video(s) :

Click on this link >> http://www.themodernvocalistworld.com/topic/7709-tutorials-forum-features-how-to-tips/

Then scroll down to : "How To Embed A Video!"

Watch the video that Robert has posted.

Not only will this embed YouTube videos, but other embeds as well. Just as I have done with yours. ;)

I hope this has helped....

Adolph

Xamedhi, I listened to both tracks and I really enjoyed the Kamelot. This is one of my favorite tracks from them and you do a nice version. I can tell a couple of the low notes in the verses are prob just a bit low for you (as they would be for me as well) try to make sure you keep the overall tone of the notes and support of those notes consistent which I know is hard on lower notes. I will listen to the Helloween and get back on here later with more analysis. Very nice voice, and I really enjoyed your vibrato on the Kamelot song.

Thanks, Musikman!  
Indeed those notes are generally my lowest, it's hard to sing there. I recorded the song because that morning I woke up and felt so low and relaxed that I thought it would be fun to give it a try. hahah . In fact, although I made a few mistakes while recording, I had to live with them, because if I did too many takes, my voice would have warmed up and lost that lowest note, lol

I'm really glad you liked it, it's a tough song and a very dear one to me.

I hope you like the Helloween cover!  I don't have neither all the chest yet to sing it like Andi Deris, and I don't know how to use distorsion for now... but I did my best with my current tools :D 

Just had a chance to spend more time with the Helloween track. I love old Helloween with Michael Kiske but I haven't followed them since he left. Great song though, I enjoyed it quite a bit I will have to look more recent material up. Onto the vox, I think you are on the right track brother. Nothing to be embarrassed about here at all.  You have the chest and upper range coming along nicely. Just keep singing in that area and get the vocal fold compression and lower support to continue to develop and you are on your way. Not that you are not doing a good job already, things seem to be together in pretty good shape already. After hearing your lower voice on the Kamelot tune and hearing where you are at on the Helloween I only anticipate hearing great things from you in the future. Keep it rocking brother!

Thank you very much, Musikman :D !  It's very encouraging to hear those words. Not everybody in everyday life supports a "cat screamer" haha

I've been training seriously for a year and a half now, so I still have a long road ahead! And I'm enjoying the journey so much also haha

Hey Seb, I remember when we were talking about Roy Khan and this song and other metal vocalists some time last year, it's great to see you went after it. I agree some of the lows were a little unsupported, but I liked your interpretation a lot, especially the verses around "Ice cold winds swept my heart away, lead me back to you..." The chorus at the end sounded great, but I would suggest that for the vowel on "sobriety" that you make it more open since it sounded a little closed/strained? to me. More like "YAH-tee" instead of "yuh-tee", if that makes sense. Awesome job. Forever and One was fantastic too, though I didn't know that one. You had a great ring on the B4's and twangy? (idk if that's the right word here) sound on the notes above that up to C#5, from what I could hear.

Thanks for the input, Java!!  

Yeah, in a lot of places it sounds constricted, mostly because I'm not used to sing that low, and I haven't trained to relax in there and open while keeping the compression Work in progress, though :B  Thanks for the idea in "sobriety" I tried that early in the morning when I recorded again. I actually forget sometimes that I can modify vowels in lower ranges haha
I'm not currently in my place, once I get home I'll take the best shots and post them, I think they sound much better :D 

Thanks about Forever and One... btw how did you all find the mix of that track? It seems to me that in the last chorus, the voice is kind of lost because the music's louder...

That was a pretty good vocal day, so I feel like I shouldn't take all the credit haha  I'm training a lot to be able to sing songs like F&O in a consistent way. It's one of those songs that I can sing just one time and that's it, then just warm down and rest.  
( It's not like I end up swollen or something hahah  It's just that it's a good enough workout on top of  other songs I may sing, my scales and stuff )