• TMV World Legacy Member

Was going to do the DLG version, but then I thought this song sounds better in the original Italian it was written. Spent a few hours just trying to EQ this hideous backing track so that it could be passable, couldn't find anything better for the remade version of this song. The song itself has a lot of dynamic shifts, unique phrasing, and navigation through the passaggio so it was fun to tackle. Any and all feedback welcome.

https://app.box.com/s/x6kdhnq608v0f5gkvphh9ygtpr4b9cif

Edit: updated the original file

"The journey in between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."
-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud

Very nice job. I wasn't familiar with this song and in spite of my Grandmother actually being from Italy I do not speak 1 word of Italian lol. The vocals were really great overall here. Like I said I don't speak Italian but I could truly hear the emotion in your voice which is a fantastic skill to acquire as a singer :41: I have one observation, around the 2:40 mark of the song you kind of climax at the bridge and it seems as if you are carrying a bit too much vocal weight into that part of your range and you sound to be straining just a little bit, although it sounds pretty damn good even with that being said. The observation I have ties into at the very end around 4:00 mark you sing a beautifully executed run and you have your voice thinner but full sounding and I really loved that sound in your voice and wonder if you have tried that approach to the bridge before. I say this because you did such a smooth run from a higher part of your range down low with a really great connected sound and the transition between your higher and lower voice was seemless. I appreciate you saying that this song was fun to tackle. I always try to find new songs to work on and challenge myself to figure out where my voice is at and what it does best etc. At the same time trying to learn how to use it better in unfamiliar situations etc. I have been working on Don Henley"s New York Minute recently and it is a hard song for me because he is almost Talk/singing most of the verses etc and not really singing in a way that I am used to singing as I usually sing more Power type singers and even though his voice is quite high like a Whiskey Tenor lol it has character and emotion even with out holding long sustained tones etc. and I am trying to develop the more conversational qualities of my voice, so far I am not doing very well haha.

Thanks for listening! I listened back to both parts, the climax and the very end with the run, and I realized I was approaching each of them differently - you are right. The climax area was giving me the most problems since I have was having a hard time getting the vowel modification right on the top note in "amore". I think if I thin it out like I did at the end it would work better instead of full forcing the note. I agree it's great to challenge yourself and try to do different things with your voice in different situations, it makes you more of a versatile singer. That's kind of funny about the Don Henley song since it's almost like you have to size your voice down a few notches and relax, haha. Good luck! You have a great belting voice. Thanks again for the response.

"The journey in between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."
-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud

• Administrator

Ah, another good Italiano singer... Canto is in the blood in Italy, I know first hand from my clients and teachers in that country...

- I am not familiar with this song, but that is not so important... just saying... 

- A beautiful voice for sure... especially the emotional vibe. You express well.

- I like the windy vocal effect, sounds nice,... good balance.

- Did you do the harmonies on this with multi-tracking, if you did... nice job.

- I like the urgency toward the end.

- There are some notes that could be tuned a bit better, but I'm kind of splitting hairs here... you seem to compensate for that with your passion and interpretation, almost... frequency / pitch is the "constant", it has to be spot on, but you can soften the blow with the fireworks of your passion I suppose.

- On the high "Amore!"... try narrowing the embouchure and "narrowing" the acoustic mass... or lower the energy that you are putting into it... let it amplify, not get louder... don't shout it, amplify it... this is generally how you sing narrowed vowels on high notes. Go to the topic titled "What the hell is a SNILE" that I posted a while back and try singing "Amore" through a SNILE, it helps. Imagine "Amore" as something that is smaller, but amplified like a laser, not shouted like a loud shot gun.

- Love the soulful melisma riff at the end... 

Here is another production tip...

Go out to www.waves.com and purchase the plugin called "Vitamin",... it is affordable and its great for doing a quick , basic mastering of bed tracks to make them sound better and pop a bit.

Thanks for the comments Robert! I will definitely try to incorporate the "snile" into my singing- took a look at the older thread. Also grabbed a demo of "Vitamin" to mess around with before I buy it. I did do the harmonies at the end, but there were some awful background vocals in that bed track mixed in already, so it got muddy.

I spent some time today fixing up a  new backing track for this that hopefully sounds clearer and punchier/fuller, and redid some vocals.

https://app.box.com/s/z3oxbjd61cfe2gdtodhuyohuwlbbi79w

-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud

This is just well done. It's very expressive, even in a foreign language I can hear it sounds authentic and heart felt.

I don't really have any technical advice. There is a slight looseness in a few sections (not pitchiness, just a little free sliding) which I personally like as it gave more humanity to the performance. I think even if your goal was like robotic perfection, your voice sounds already placed well, you're expressive, and it's more what you want to do with your voice.

I think you should just keep doing what you're doing. It's working. :D

Man, yo've progressed a lot :D  I like how you sang this song. Also, I agree with Robert on the vowels :P 

EDIT: Sorry for the shortness, hahah, I don't have much time now, I will give you more insight when I can :3 

• 2 weeks later...
  • TMV World Member

hello

I do not know if you are of Italian origin, 
because it is a language I understand and speak
Your version is incredible
I could not imagine a male version . in addition 
song superbly suits you your voice

good !

Charlie,

Thanks for listening, and for your kind comments! I am not Italian, but I am happy you enjoyed it.

:D

-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud