• TMV World Member

Hello,

I  have just started trying to teach myself how to sing. I not good yet but I wanted some advice as to what kind of voice type I am? I am finding myself able to belt very high notes from chest and can also hit the same notes softly as well.

People keep telling me I'm using falsetto but I have tried to use falsetto and when I do it sounds very different and breathy. It also feels very different.

• Administrator

For starters... as an amateur cosmologist, I love the Sombrero Galaxy... very cool. 200 Billion stars and an estimated 10 Million life inhabited planets... Now then, back to your singing review. 

Welcome to TMV World, we are thrilled to have you as a member.

Review:

- Could you please paste in a link of a professional singing this song? I is vaguely familiar, but I need a better sample of what you are trying to go for here. It sounds like a counter-tenor piece, but that may be simply because you are singing in falsetto. I went out to YouTube and tried to find a "La Luna" that matched your melody and was not successful. 

- But... your singing here is very falsetto. Per my first point, the first thing I need to know is, what is the style or expected medium of this song. Is it in fact a counter-tenor classical piece? is it a choral piece? Is it a song for soprano? Why are you singing this so high in your falsetto? That is the first thing I need to determine. Is that because you are cueing off the original, or because singing to you currently means ONLY falsetto?

So get me that link:

- That being said, you need to tune up your pitch. Your falsetto is a very nice and sweet sound color and if you wanted to sing in Falsetto, it has a lovely "choral boy" sound color to it, which is fine. But regardless of what sound color or style you choose to sing, ... Frequency is the constant. You HAVE to sing in pitch, there is no exceptions. Just like gravity and dark matter are responsible for keeping the Sombrero galaxy in motion and in a spiral form, frequency must be accurate in music... both are "constants" in nature that cannot be changed.

Get me that link and we can be less esoteric and more to the point... 

:z-coffee:

• TMV World Member

Hello!

Thank you for  your detailed response it has been very helpful. Glad you liked the image of the Sombrero Galaxy, I am very fascinated with all things related to cosmology myself.

• Administrator

Ok, so it is a falsetto or heady sound... 

Is this the kind of singing you want to do?

Its very pretty... sounds like early chant music? Is this a man or a woman? 

Again, I need to know wha the context is... are you a classical singer? 

Who is the composer? 

Which "La Luna" is this?

• Administrator

Ok, well... then for that song and genre', falsetto or a light compressed, counter-tenor sound would probably be what you want to do. For the most part, your already dialing that in.. you need to work on cleaning up the intonation.

Stand by a piano and actually find the actual notes on a piano. Touch the notes and work those parts slowly, laboring over a piano... this will do a lot to give your ear some hand, eye, visual memory, associations of the pitch as well as force you to simply repeat it over and over to build a new habit on where to go.

• TMV World Member

Thanks! I have just bought myself a keyboard which should be arriving sometime by the end of this week I will definitely try what you have said. I will keep practicing and let you know how it goes. Thanks very much for your advice!