can i practice mum and nay nays together

Rate this topic

averagesinger

Yes you can do them together and you can do tem separately.

P.S. this thread might get a lil hectic because your question is kinda of what makes some people here kinda mad..so if anyone is a bit brash ignore it, they all mean well :)

I personally love the mum ones a lot more. Perhaps i am doing the "nays" wrong and also perhaps my voice is too bright sounding already (i have been talking in a wrong way for years)... the nay nay nay just adds to the tension for some reaosns... but the mum ones truly gave me freedom

Nay can be useful for finding a possibly harsh nasally bright tone. But the end result is you would want to be able to control the harshness, brightness, and nasality on any vowel by controlling larynx, pharynx, and tongue, so repeating a possibly overly bright, nasally, and harsh tone might be a bad idea (becomes mindless and habitual).

Mum is a nice soft warm up sound. If you need a nice ramp into voice usage it can work. It's semi occluded and controls breath flow. When done properly (not pushing or squeezing or trying it make the big mum) can be a nice place to just lightly place a voice in position.

The end desire again would be to be able to control the voice (airflow closure) without semi occluded phonation as a crutch when you sing, imo. In the meantime, or if you want light warm ups they can do.

Well from my understanding the nays and mum should be used in alternation to find the sweet spot in between where the strongest twang lies. But why train it that way if you can just quack to twang strongly?

The mum sits backwards from a placement point of view, the nay sits very forward. The best twang position is the middle ground between those and from what I know in SLS they hope that the placement will go there if you alternate nay and mum excercises.

Personally, I don't like excercises that use the consonant N. The reason for that is that it can create a tendency to make the vowels with the tip of your tongue which can be an easy cause of unneccessary tension. You should create all vowels with the back of your tongue, which is why I strongly prefer excercises on NG.

My preferred excercise to get a good twang placement is to open from an NG sound into a quack sound, then open from that into a vowel. If you have trouble making a relaxed NG position try to breathe out softly through your mouth and then breathe back in throug the nose (!) without closing the mouth (!).