Harmonizing

Rate this topic

Elvis

Hey guys!

I always wanted to learn how to harmonize and sing thirds! My friends who kinda knows theory but does not sing say to me that i do harmonize properly but i always do fourth's and not thirds.

Here is a clip of me trying to sing thirds. Is that it?? If not do you know how can i practice this?

https://app.box.com/s/7qnvanmicn1vaiokq4f4mbsvfi69sp2t

NOTE: Pls dont review singing hahaha i did this 10 min ago just to show you if the notes are "relatively" correct... I broke on a few places cuz i wanted to use a light mass and it goes to A4 so thats kinda tricky for me :P

P.s. it lasts 3min but i only sing first part for like 50sec

I can help to have a mental reference point. For me a major 3rd is the first harmony note in Twist and Shout.

Minor 3rd has less references mentally, but the second note in the Iron Man riff is a good one.

Beyond that it's basically lots and lots of relative pitch training, I've posted a lot of exercises in the past, but since you're a guitar player, practice singing a 3rd above any note you play. It's a little easier cause there is a muscle memory of the note relationship, but is still useful. You might start with scale based stuff, and then work on chromatic notes. Just 'any note played' then 3rd.

Also, these guys are my 3rd guys (Everly Brothers).

So listen and sing both of their parts frequently. :D

Come to think of it, I'm just gonna play this whole thing and sing harmonies:

thanks for the advice. i actually did just that with my guitar..i heard the song on the radio..tried singing thirds..and i kinda got into the groove..so i sat down for 5 min with guitar and got the hang of it, and i recorded this short clip imidiatelly after and posted it..

Dunno if you got to hear it but i was wondering if i was singing correctly in this clip or not? the thirds i mean, or did i messed up and went for fourts again xD

It sounded like it was going 4ths from time to time. It had an unresolved suspended chord feel more than than the resolved feeling.

Ok, just checked on guitar, definitely 4ths going on. The thing to think about why this might be happening, is a 4th is always the same distance. So it's easier to lockstep the notes (there is no minor 4th, similar with  5th), but the 3rds are different depending whether the implied chord is major/minor so it will be up or down a semi tone.

So train to get a feel for it in the context of a musical scale. This is actually a place where solfege can help some too:

Do re mi (3 notes up, 3rd)

re mi fa  (3 notes up, 3rd)

mi fa so (3 notes up, 3rd)

fa so la  (3 notes up, 3rd)

so la ti  (3 notes up, 3rd)

la ti do  (3 notes up, 3rd)

Then you can learn to go 3 notes down, and get it subconsciously ingrained so you don't have to think about it anymore. I can lose a feel a particular scale as well. If I haven't warmed up my voice or done anything musical and voice/ear intensive for awhile. You're definitely right that it helps to get in the zone and 'in tune.' And it's been like a week for me right now, it's harder. But you can reabsorb where things are.

Everly Brothers are great to learn from......So are the Beatles and Simon and Garfunkle. Also Crosby,Stills Nash and Young.

Pick an Easy song......Listen closely to One singer at a time. Pick one and sing along to that......Train your ear first...then the melody/harmony.

When I am learning a Harmony  line I treat it as the main melody.......at least a melody with the same importance as the Lead vocal.

Yes you got it right on the sample (for this song at least, I think fitting a major 3rd in there would not sound as good), cool stuff by the way, why dont you record this whole song and polish it more? Would like to hear how it sounds like. :) 

What killer mentioned is a great way to train, finding songs that has the intervals you want and recalling them. You can also work on memorizing how the interval itself sounds like, or, just counting the appropriate number of semitones up mentally, in the case of a major third, 4 semitones.

Basicly in this last method you will imagine the initial note of the main melody, and do a chromatism up 4 half steps. This is useful because you can do any interval you want. The difficulty is learning how a chromatism sounds like (which you can clear out by actually doing it on a instrument and paying attention).

Felipe

I didn't have time to listen to the clip before.....Your harmony sounded fine.....Usually when you listen to a song you can hear the differences in sound between the different singers and can map what each person is singing......just lock onto the one voice that is singing the part that you want to sing and listen closely to what he/she is singing.

This is a great song to use for mapping a harmony.

If you really want to be good at this join a choir and learn harmonies from your favorite records. It also helps to know harmony and how chords and chord progressions are constructed. If 3 people harmonize a C major chord they're gonna sing C, E and G that's just how it is. You can sing other notes of course but that would change the color of the chord. Singing a B would make it a major 7th for instance depending on the song it might or might not fit. Basically you need to be able to hear your place inside the chords and follow the melody.

i think its very amazing already and you probably are very experienced in it... one extra advice, I often love listening to acapella remixes of different songs on youtube as i can hear clearly how back up singers are harmonizing and that gives me a better idea of everything