Your Favorite 'Unconventionally Appealing' Vocal Performances

Rate this topic

KillerKu

Sometimes, someone sings something just so improperly. They violate so many ideas of how a song should be sung, that  it becomes endearing way more to me than if someone sang it properly or conventionally good. To be clear, this topic isn't about making fun of singers, but more having fun with how for whatever reason, they did it differently. 

I'll start with mine: First thing I want to say, is beneath some of the vocal choices and oddness displayed, this guy actually has a really beautiful voice and could become a more conventionally appealing singer with training, and guidance. But what really attracts me to this performance, it's what he different. I'll give a little analysis of my favorite sections:

0:00 Oh say can you see - Ok first of all he is starting off with the dopiest timbre. Sure he's a really big guy, naturally low voice, but the larynx is dropped so low, it's like a cartoon character and really emphasizes it. 

0:10  By the dawn's early light - Then jumps into this awesome little vocal run, 'lah ee aight.' 

0:29  Who bright stripes and bright stars Here comes the lyrical mangling

0:54 And the rocket's red glare The bombs bursting in air  - This is when he really shows what he's got. In comes crazy high larynx distortion. I remember people on this forum would chase distortion like it was holy grail. If only I had distortion.  And here this guy is blasting it. The vowel modification is insane different compared to the dopey lows of the earlier section. You can see knees dipping and he is supporting so much like he could be squatting for a toilet. Glehhhhherrrrrrr!!!!

1:07 Gave tooth to the night - Great lyrical slip. Tooth fairy dropping in?

1:19 Oh stay does that star spangle banner yet wave - This is one of the best I've ever heard. Starting with a lyrical error, then immediately into stilted,  vocal runs, and then just all blasting again. Again, he's stoops down giving everything he's got to give this thing the finale it deserves.  Wayyyyyyyyehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. and ends with that little touch of a vocal run there. eeee eee eve.   

1:39 For the land of the free hee ee You couldn't pick a better part to crack into falsetto, but he picks up the crack with another little run. 

1:49 And the home of the brave - And then he ends the song on the 5th, not the tonic. It doesn't quite fully finish song as  you'd expect, for that added touch of individuality.

In conclusion, This guy is not a shy singer. He doesn't hold back. He gives it 100 percent and he does it his way. United we stand, sure, but he's gonna sing it his way. I've listened to this more than any other version of the Star Spangled Banner. And that include Marvin Gaye's, which I consider maybe my favorite popular alteration. There has to be something good about this version for all of its faults.

Does anyone else have any favorite performances from singers who refuse or are incapable of singing according to the rules, but somehow it compels you to listen and go along for the ride?

Some one needs to tell him, most tall people are not basses, and he's not one of them.

Anyones, my three favorite terrible songs are

Philosophy of the world - The Shaggs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxPsXPCR5MU

How a family has so little musical talent, but such a common sense of something....

Daniel Johnston - Casper the Friendly Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1CdrKenfXo

Pure raw energy and emotion in his music.

Florence Foster Jenkins - Queen of the Night by Mozart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6ubiUIxbWE

The original! The one and only. Please make sure your sound system is properly adjusted.

I think you finished it, Elvis. Just link in the auditions from any season.

I could say anything by Lou Reed. He speaks lyrics more than he sings and he is only on key by accident or serendipity.

But they are cool songs, sung better by anyone else.

Same with Bob Dylan.

I think you finished it, Elvis. Just link in the auditions from any season.

I could say anything by Lou Reed. He speaks lyrics more than he sings and he is only on key by accident or serendipity.

But they are cool songs, sung better by anyone else.

Same with Bob Dylan.

Yea but i didnt link it cuz he is bad..there are tons of bad auditions...but this one speaks to me...i actually like it. Not in an admiring kind of way, but there is something in it that appeals to me

If you take a listen you can hear that he isnt really off pitch that much. he is just singing it lower and has some thetrical value :P

Yeah. but my choices were also based on how much I like the singer in spite of their odd ways, which happens to include being off=key, much of the time.

I had not thought I needed to but maybe I should ask Killer if it is okay to include singers that are off key or is this only a thread for singers who are on key but present the song with different expression than the other.

For example, your guy is fairly on key, speaking the lyrics more than singing, and I do like the hunched up shoulders thing.

Killer, if I have overstepped or misunderstood, I will delete my post.

Ronws, I do not think you overstepped the bounds of this thread. Lou and Bob are definitely unconventional.

The guys are pretty much on Key but their personal style was a bit unconventional until the corporate suits cleaned them up and had them go mainstream.

When I first heard this song this is pretty much how I imagined what was going on in the background....    Dr Hook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX9viTYl9KA

Yeah. but my choices were also based on how much I like the singer in spite of their odd ways, which happens to include being off=key, much of the time.

I had not thought I needed to but maybe I should ask Killer if it is okay to include singers that are off key or is this only a thread for singers who are on key but present the song with different expression than the other.

For example, your guy is fairly on key, speaking the lyrics more than singing, and I do like the hunched up shoulders thing.

Killer, if I have overstepped or misunderstood, I will delete my post.

Nah, it's quite alright. I think both 'unconventional' and 'performance' are kind of broad and vague words when combined with appealing, honestly. 

I think it's a good thing you mentioned that. I think if a pitchy performance appeals to you and you wouldn't prefer it more in tune, that would be more of an unconventional appeal, otherwise, it might be the opposite?

How unconventionally Dylan and Reed appeal as performers depends a bit on whether you're talking about only their vocal technique though. On one hand, It's true their style of singing is unconventional, but on the other hand, rough, ragged, flawed and unconventional storytellers performing, writing, and relating personal tales, warts and all, that's not that unconventional of an appeal at this point. These types of performers are even a bit of a trope. While I might up them up top of a list of unconventional singers I enjoy, a lot of what appeals in their performances is pretty wide spread and part of what attracts people is the flawed storyteller. 

Meanwhile, people singing odd, flawed, versions of National anthems are conventionally condemned or resented. I saw that thread about Ann Wilson of all people catching flack. Normally I'm indifferent, but I find this one special. Sure, part of it is amusement but there is something deeper for me than just humor. I think it's how he was so passionately singing it, quirks, oddities, flaws, but never sounding actually unpleasant, harsh, intentionally bad, or anything less than sincere and joyful to me. For me that might be the best representation of freedom: to be sincere, quirky, flawed, to share passion, and make mistakes. I wouldn't change a thing in that performance.

If in the future he was looking for a serious singing career, I' give different feedback, but as a guy celebrating qualities I appreciate in my country, I can't really think of a way to top him.

• Administrator

Does anyone else have any favorite performances from singers who refuse or are incapable of singing according to the rules, but somehow it compels you to listen and go along for the ride?

Here's one of MY favorites >>

I posted this quite some time ago and received some negative comments. But with that said, I give you THIS :

http://www.madisonrising.com/about.php

• 2 weeks later...

This is a German singer here. I'm curious if you understand what is going on there: :P If you don't like that you are probably too narrow minded to understand the outstanding artfulness of this masterpiece just like those ignorants in the audience.

Haha, yeah the genre is contemporary classic btw :bang:

So I will tell you the truth. That guy in the video is a famous German comedian and they invited people interested in classical music to the show to hear a new upcoming star singer presenting an excerpt of a newly written opera.

So those guys in the audience were not only not expecting THIS they were actually expecting an extremely skilled star singer, just look at their faces, kind of a mixture between shocked and surprised.

But the most hilarious stuff is that the people in the audience actually start to discuss about the meaning and interpretation of the song in a very serious way. And in the end when one woman tells the singer that she finds this "strange" and it doesn't sound like classical music he responds to her that she is not on the intellectual level to understand this type of music :24:

• 3 weeks later...