Singing pitches

Rate this topic

ilovemyself

Hi!
I am now taking ear training exercices (from a CD I bought) and the teacher in the CD says it's extremely important to sing the notes you hear. I have two questions:
1. I can really only sing notes of the small octave (C3-C4) but I do have problems with singing the notes C3 (nearly to low) and C4 (nearly to high). The only song I really sing is this (but in that small octave) http://schola.us/Media/Default/Images/SalveReginaScore_NWC.png
Now, what should I do if I have to sing notes that are highter than this octave (I tried just doing it but it's not that easy)?

2. My (digital) piano is tuned to A=440 but do all people sing like a piano is tuned? I mean, if I would figured out by ear how certain people sing (and then play the melody on my piano) there may difficulties as they sing pitches that are between the pitches on a piano?

3. If I play a note on a piano there will be overtones as well eg. if you play the note G other string wil resonate as well. Are there overtones in the human voice as well? or do you just sing the note G without any overtones? I mean, if you want to sing exactly what you hear when you play a note on the piano you would have to sing overtones as you will here more than just G if you depress the G key on your piano.

As for how to sing notes higher, the teacher on your cd should explain how to do that.

Keep your keyboard tuned to 440. Singing by ear is matching pitch to an instrument, not singing in a particular tuning. Singing in a particular tuning soley from sheet music without ever having heard the piece before is sight-singing.

Yes, most any instrument, including the voice, produces overtones, or harmonics. And before someone comes in and says falsetto is pure tone, well, inot that pure, though it is probably more elemental.