• TMV World Member

I've been singing ever since I was a kid, but only really seriously practicing for maybe 4 years now. Through singing every day, my voice has improved SO much, and I love the way I sound, but lately my vibrato has been sounding less full and it's a little bit harder to do. Singing is a habit and a coping mechanism to me, and so I'd actually have to make an effort to stop singing and give my voice a rest, and I would really like to find an alternate solution if I can. This seems to happen to me every time my allergies get bad but I'm always afraid I'll mess my voice up somehow. It doesn't really hurt but it can get slightly sore. What's the best thing to do? Give my voice a break, do vocal exercises or just wait it out? Is there any possibility that I'm in danger of messing my voice up somehow?

• Administrator

SoftServe,

My apologies, I did not clarify above. To have your singing reviews as you are requesting above, you need to post your "topic" into the "Review My Singing" forum. Also, please note that having your singing reviewed takes a lot of careful time and consideration by myself and others to give you good feedback, therefore it is a service.

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi Softserve, nice to meet ya and I love your avatar. Onto your samples. Allergies are a subject that is near and dear to my heart, I live in Orlando, Florida. Florida is called the Sunshine state but it should be also known as Pollen Central!!! I suffer from allergies as well and there is no doubt that this can cause some vocal issues from time to time. The first time I realized that I had allergies surprised me as I didn't even have obvious symptoms (runny nose, sneezing etc) I was having difficulties with my midrange vocals like absolutely no sound coming out but my higher and lower ranges were not fantastic but there was sound. after 2 months of vocal struggles I went to a doctor who took one look down my throat and said WOW, you have a ton of Post Nasal Drip going down your throat from allergies. I was given medicine and within about 2 to 3 hours my voice was coming back. The mucus coats the vocal folds and makes them less able to freely vibrate along with the swelling from irritation is a recipe for an unreliable vocal mechanism. And a vibrato should be natural and as individual as a fingerprint to the singer it has to happen in a healthy vocal mechanism (a singer can copy another singers vibrato to some degree as well if desired, I am talking about your own unique vibrato). My advice take some allergy meds there are many available in the United States everywhere, although I am not sure where you live. If you have access to a Zyrtec, or Claritin that can help and when my allergies get really bad I have to add Flonase into the mix. When taking allergy meds make sure to drink a ton of water to counteract the drying affect of the medicine on your body and therefor your vocal folds etc. I hope this helps. I listened to your clips and you do sound just a little bit congested to my ears. If that that is your normal style of singing I wouldn't be too concerned with damage to your singing while you have allergies as you seemed to have a very relaxed vocal manner and I don't think you but a lot of strain on the entire vocal mechanism. Nice style by the way, very nice. Kinda have a cool jazz and swing vibe to it.

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi, softerserve, way cool avatar. Sounds like an allergy problem, a health problem. There are various remedies over the counter to cut down on phlegm and other congestion problems. Do you have a doctor that you see?