New York Minute - Don Henley

Rate this topic

I have always loved this song by Don Henley. He has a real "world weariness" quality to his voice and sometimes almost kind of "Talk sings" some of the words along with a bit of lazy diction done in a cool way. I by NO means have that quality to my voice but I tried to get into the Music Noir jazzy vibe of this song and did my best. My voice is a bit lower than his so the kind of speak singing moments are a bit hard as its just a bit higher than my regular talking.
https://app.box.com/s/p3lzruf6epj5wyvvm04hmmxfpu4ypfmz

• 2 weeks later...

You said this was out of your comfort zone, in the talk-y bits but it sounded like your voice was in a comfortable place to my ears, anyway :P I loved this performance, and though I don't think there was "world weariness", you got the honesty in the song across with your phrasing and the immediacy and directness of your onsets and held notes, if that makes sense. Like in the chorus, the emphasis on "MIN-ute" and "EV-erything" felt like they were describing some kind of...inevitability of things that are out of our control as human beings. I like the held note around 6:00, can't tell what register it is, but it sounded great. Your backing vocals were spot on too and everything meshed together so well.

Wow, thanks for the nice review Javastorm. I really love the vibe of this song and sometimes I wish I had one of those "character filled voices" lol. I just don't have that type and have never smoked either haha. It's not my comfort zone but I am glad its not showing :4: I love so many types of singers and  I started out with the super range type singers and sometimes for me to  sing something simply and emotion filled is the harder thing to do. That's why I really do think its important to try and absorb as much as you can from other singers. I find if I practice a singer that I admire quite a bit it almost becomes part of my vocal DNA and when I sing other songs or originals I will hear little bits of my influences blending together in interesting ways. Again, thank you for the review I do appreciate them.

I liked it, too. And was struck by the interesting notion that on this song, you kind of sound like Dennis DeYoung. 

Kudos for NOT trying to sounding dusty, like Don does. As for his original phrasing, it might help to know that he is from, and still lives mostly in Dallas, Texas. I know because the company I work for worked on a project for his newest house (he has four, here.)