singing and playing a melody

Rate this topic

ilovemyself

Hi!
Today I played a melody from a certain song on my piano. It sounded like I actually played the melody from the song but when I played it together with the recording it didn't sound too right. It's like the singer did something that can't be played on the piano. This is not the first time this has happened. One thing is true: he did not use any special vocal techniques.
What does a proffesion vocalist say about this?

The name of the song and a link to the Version that YOU listened to would be helpful,

I have also found that there are songs that the note or notes being sung somehow do not sound like the same "Pitch" as that on another instrument.

One example that I can give is the "Animals" version of "House of the Rising Sun". When the singer goes to the verse..."My Mother was........"  It is an A4......But somehow gives the impression and weight of an E4 ......To Me ........

A few possibilities.

1. It could be a micro tonal pitch. What this means is the note is not in equal temperament 12 tone tuning. Violin family instruments, theremins, and trombones are some of the best instruments for doing micro tonal stuff.  Guitar strings can be bent, and electric pianos sometimes have a pitch wheel or you can hook up a pedal to bend notes on the more advanced ones. When your ears get advanced enough, you should be able to hear the note and snap it to the closest pitch if this is the case, but it will never be quite right. In latter day Lou Reed songs a lot of times every note is like this. 

2. The whole song might be detuned micro tonally. A lot of my favorite Beatle songs are not in standard tuning, so it makes playing along to them on a standard tuning instrument basically impossible. Some people will tune a guitar or whatnot to a different pitch than 440 Hz. If I have to learn something like this by ear, I will often learn the relationship of notes. And try to snap them to the closest key by bending my guitar until I find the tonic rather than try to retune the whole instrument for a single song. But that could be laziness. 

3. Playing things by ear is generally a skill that can take time and effort of people to learn. It's especially confusing if the timbres are different. I used to be able to pick out certain singers way better than others who used distortion and so forth as it is easier to pick out notes on a familiar clear timbre vs an unfamiliar timbre. So you might be having difficulty with one of these weird timbres.

4. It might be in a harmony. I generally have more difficulty figuring out multiple notes at the same time especially if they are really blended sound.  You almost have to know the sound or the feeling of the chord if you don't have perfect pitch as when notes are blended together in a complex way, it gets increasingly hard to hear what is going on in my experience.

Could be a lot of things, but those would be a start. The song that is giving you difficulty would be helpful.

I think you may be getting confused because some of the words "Slide" in pitch...... This is a typical simple melody..... nothing out of the ordinary is going on in it. If I played this on a guitar I would get some of the pitches by "Bending" the string so there is a uniform "Slide" from one pitch to the next.......It would sound Odd without this Bend/slide.