PLEASE HELP! Blending issues and more.......

Rate this topic

cvineyard

Hi,

I'm a new voice student (female), and right now I'm having a lot of trouble finding the resonant and getting the voice to the right place. A few years ago I had a very strong chest voice and virtually no head voice at all (I could sing up to a B flat in chest voice and no higher). After some training I successfully gained head voice and could go up to a G or A (sometimes even a High C, unbelievable to me as it is). However, my voice is a complete mess, and I can't even sing the scale right. Here are the three major problems:

(1) Although I did develop some mixed middle voice, it consistently falls back on chest voice whenever I'm singing anything lower than a C (the one above middle C, I don't know what to call it...). The most I can get for those middle notes is a small, thin, hoarse and breathy sound that refuse to grow. This is totally frustrating...as most notes in most songs are in that range..

(2) For the high notes: I know I can sing high, and sometimes a high A or B feels effortless (though narrow), but my high F and G are just UGLY (I think it's a passagio issue). However, they happen to be the highest notes in some of my songs, so it sounds even worse--like I'm screaming those notes..Another thing about the high notes is that I'm not sure where I should feel them. My teacher says it should be up front, but does it mean I should feel nasal vibrations or even feel it on my lips?? I do think the voice feels too far back right now, but how do you actually move that voice to the front???

(3) A combination of the above 2 problems: Whenever I was down at chest voice for a while, I can't sing in my head voice well enough; whenever I'm up in my head voice for a while, I simply lose my middle voice.

Can anyone please help me out by giving me some useful tips?? I'm really frustrated because I've been practicing everyday and really hard.........but no obvious improvement......Thank you so much!!

Hi,

I'm a new voice student (female), and right now I'm having a lot of trouble finding the resonant and getting the voice to the right place. A few years ago I had a very strong chest voice and virtually no head voice at all (I could sing up to a B flat in chest voice and no higher). After some training I successfully gained head voice and could go up to a G or A (sometimes even a High C, unbelievable to me as it is). However, my voice is a complete mess, and I can't even sing the scale right. Here are the three major problems:

(1) Although I did develop some mixed middle voice, it consistently falls back on chest voice whenever I'm singing anything lower than a C (the one above middle C, I don't know what to call it...). The most I can get for those middle notes is a small, thin, hoarse and breathy sound that refuse to grow. This is totally frustrating...as most notes in most songs are in that range..

(2) For the high notes: I know I can sing high, and sometimes a high A or B feels effortless (though narrow), but my high F and G are just UGLY (I think it's a passagio issue). However, they happen to be the highest notes in some of my songs, so it sounds even worse--like I'm screaming those notes..Another thing about the high notes is that I'm not sure where I should feel them. My teacher says it should be up front, but does it mean I should feel nasal vibrations or even feel it on my lips?? I do think the voice feels too far back right now, but how do you actually move that voice to the front???

(3) A combination of the above 2 problems: Whenever I was down at chest voice for a while, I can't sing in my head voice well enough; whenever I'm up in my head voice for a while, I simply lose my middle voice.

cvineyard: The issue here is the coordination of the laryngeal musculature. For singers who have your background, it can take some serious, correct practice to get comfortable and consistent. You also need to choose the right vowels for the higher notes. F and G are more easily done on the vowel Ah, for the time being.

BTW, the 'C above middle C' is a perfectly fine way to refer to that C. :-)

While there are many exercises you will eventually learn, IMO the very best ones for making the connection from one range of the voice to another are soft, semi-occluded voiced consonant sirens. You can use any of voiced TH (as in thee), Z, V, M, N, or the french J (as in Je.) Start softly in your lower voice, and slide slowly upward an octave, and then back down. Repeat in the lower voice for a while.

Then, repeat the same exercise starting in your upper voice, and slide downward and octave, and then back up. If you crack into chest voice, sing a bit softer, and go more slowly through the siren.

THis will get you started.