Two songs that give me trouble(IRIS and Have you really loved a woman)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi Folks.. 
I used to have major issues in both these songs.. They cut across my passagio and I always was unsure about the right vocal weight for these songs.. I had major issues in transitioning from a comfortable low-med range to the high notes above my passagio.  

It has taken a long time for me to reach this level and I am in general happy about the outcome for now.  Obviously, there is always scope to improve :)

As always, any tips suggestions on improvement are welcome... 

PS: Now that I have heard these songs, I think I know what other members have pointed out about a slightly cartoonish tone.  I am beginning to hear the places where this happens(think this is because of the laziness in focusing on the "easier" notes).  

Goo goo dolls(IRIS) - https://app.box.com/s/evfe0j10ho0fnlurxpi96v4maa2jdy36

Have you really loved a woman - https://app.box.com/s/zcbtbvgpx320yhighu8nhx592myeg36d

• Review My Singing Membership

You sound awesome on Have you really loved a women. I thought you sounded ok on IRIS but by far better on Have you Really loved a women. My main tip would be to work on pitch. I have problems with pitch sometimes too and its always because im being lazzy and not listening 

You sound awesome on Have you really loved a women. I thought you sounded ok on IRIS but by far better on Have you Really loved a women. My main tip would be to work on pitch. I have problems with pitch sometimes too and its always because im being lazzy and not listening 

Hi Jarom.  Thanks.. How does one train pitch?  I did both these songs in around 40 min including, so my intention here was not to be exactly on pitch and I was indeed a bit lazy.  But having listened to my recording, I am not able to spot pitchy areas in "Have you really loved a woman".  Can you please point out specific times in the song where you feel the pitch is really off?  Maybe I need to start training my ears along with training singing voice.  Any tips on how this can best be achieved?  

• Review My Singing Membership

Hi Jarom.  Thanks.. How does one train pitch?  I did both these songs in around 40 min including, so my intention here was not to be exactly on pitch and I was indeed a bit lazy.  But having listened to my recording, I am not able to spot pitchy areas in "Have you really loved a woman".  Can you please point out specific times in the song where you feel the pitch is really off?  Maybe I need to start training my ears along with training singing voice.  Any tips on how this can best be achieved?  

Have you really loved a women sounded completely on pitch to my ears. IRIS was the one that sounded pitchy. 

I did not hear any pitch issues with "Have You ..." And I think it was your strongest recording and performance, it is right "in your wheelhouse," as we say around here. I think part of it has to do with the tempo and rhythm style, which may be a closer match to music you grew up with. Your timing is spot-on.

"Iris" was also good but something sound slight out of kilter on the first chorus. Later choruses were okay. I can't tell if it is actual pitchinesss or just a matter of how your voice sounds on the eh sound, which you are using for the word "am." You are singing "eh-m" which is fine and I wonder how it would sound with "ah-m." Don't worry about which is the proper vowel sound. Listeners will hear the word, am, in context.

And I like how your recording and mixes have gotten better. The one thing you might want to try is when you think a spot might be pitchy, patch that section in. Not the whole song, just that one part. For example, the chorus. It sounded funny once but okay the other times, so, I know you know how to do it.