This was good. This song seems to benefit from a bit of a belt. You might be mixed just a tiny bit back, but that's kind of the style of the original and a lot of grunge had murky 'looming' vocals.

Since its a rough draft, I felt like the first 'christ' was a bit quirky in vowel placement, as in a little quacky and offbeat, as in the vowel didn't fully form into an 'eye' sound. When you said 'eyes' later for the climax scream the same vowel blended into the tune with more of a mainstream kind of timbre.

If you want to use it as promo material you might send that vowel more.  If you want to keep it as is, it's got charm doing its own thing and it's quite good.

• Administrator

Thanks Killer... Like I said, its not done... its just rough... there is more production go do, but I think it cool... I rather like it. 

And BTW... I don't want to make it sound just like Layne Staley.. I want to honor the original, but I also want to put my own colors and embellishments into it as well.

Im not big on "how to sing like someone else". Philosophically, that idea seems like an empty pursuit to me. I want to sing like me and make it my own, even if it is a tribute song. That is more artistic in my view.

• Administrator

Hey Thanks guys... I know the round table here doesn't hand out kudos easily.

It still needs some work. but its worthy of sharing... thanks for listening guys.

This is what I call "Rob Mix"... which basically means me in my studio with laptop and LogicPro and plugins from Waves. I track at my studio to save money and not be under pressure to pull off a miracle in 5 minutes... then take the vocal tracks to the pro studio and put the pixy dust on it with better preamps, etc... I'm am a decent home recording producer, not a professional. I can make a good demo..

Here is my technology chain at "Rob Recording Studios Extraordinaire" (JK) .... for this DEMO recording:

- Focusrite ISA ONE vocal preamp.

- Focusrite Scarlett

- RODE K2 tube microphone.

- DAW - LogicPro

- Reflection Filter

- Plugins:

- - Waves CLA

- - Waves Vitamin

- - Focusrite Compression (comes with the Scarlett interface).

Excellent arrangement, Robert. And the build-up to the last chorus, now that's the pay-off.

I noticed you have waves CLA. I just watched a series of interviews with Chris Lord-Alge on the sonicscoop channel. So, kudos to you for having that. I was listening how hard he had to work with the developer. He had to really pick and choose his favorite gear and how to model that into software.

I would say this is a keeper and it will be so anthemic when you get the final touches on it, mix-wise. You have already done the most important part which is the performance and arrangement.

Yeah - Chris Lord-Alge is one of my favorite sound engineers.  He's got golden ears and he is very fast at mixing.  He is also has a great sense of humor.  Lot's of great interviews and youtube videos on him.

I second Rob's recommendation on the Waves CLA stuff.  He makes it so simple.  You are getting SSL console / 1176 / L1 and a bunch of other technologies in these CLA plugins. Don't pay full price - watch for the Waves sales - they are constantly rotating different plugins for sale.

Nice work Robert! I love this song man! I think the most challenging in this song is not the high pitch notes but keeping the thick/beefier sound as you rise on pitch. A.W.E.S.O.M.E. distortion BTW! I also really liked that you posted the list with the equipment you used. I think it should be (if it isn't already) the standard type of post for Review my Singing. Congrats! I can't wait for the final/polished version with a video. :bang:

• Administrator

Cool, thanks for taking the time to respond Gneetapp. I am pleased that you enjoyed it. Yes, I will mix it professionally on Wednesday on an SSL. Yes, the distortion is cool. This kind of distortion is easy for me to produce. It is called "creaking" I believe... There is a lesson and demonstration on how to produce it and train in the new TVS online course work system

I agree about the technology chain. It is important and it elevates the importance of recording and production, which is a big part of being a singer in my view... especially if you want to promote yourself or do auditions. Singers need to learn how to make decent or good recordings!

• Administrator

Hey guys... anyone that has been interested in this... I just uploaded the 4th mix of this recording. This mix was the professional one done at www.synergynw.com, on an SSL4000g console. The pro shit... Thought you might be interested in hearing the difference between the "Rob Mix" demo and a pro mix.

:headbang:

That song makes a great exercise.  Nice job Rob.  "House of the rising sun" is another great workout for a killer A4.

I do not mean to side track this thread but I have been working on House of the rising sun for quite a while now...............The notes are not hard to sing but getting that open broad sound like Eric gets is driving me crazy................ If I manage the A4 I will lose it at the G4................

Sounds great Robert. I'm looking forward to hearing the new mix.

• Administrator

That is the new mix. Just click the video on the first post.

Regarding your transition, slow it down! Make the movement with the lyrics so you can train the musculature and your articulators how to make the maneuver.  You also have to teach your body what the resonation is from the first note to the second note. So slow it down and articulate through it very slowly with a lot of precision, so that you can build the muscle memory for that maneuver and  get a feel for the resonance.

And understand that most likely the element that is tripping you up is most likely, the diphthongs.  You have to meticulously work through the articulation from the open vowel positions to and through the diphthongs!,   while maintaining the M1 musculature, or Belty musculature. Without the adductors engaged, your just going to blow hot windy air and you will have no stability. That is why you voice likely shitting out as you move from one configuration to the next.

Thanks.  It has been a few days since I listed to your first recording. I wasn't sure if you replaced it or posted your new mix elsewhere.

In regards to House of the Rising Sun.........Do not practice Wind and Release while driving...........:mellow:.......;)

Hey guys... anyone that has been interested in this... I just uploaded the 4th mix of this recording. This mix was the professional one done at www.synergynw.com, on an SSL4000g console. The pro shit... Thought you might be interested in hearing the difference between the "Rob Mix" demo and a pro mix.

:headbang:

WOW! Holly Shizz! It sounds really good! So, I guess that it makes a big diference taking the recording files to be mixed by a pro on a pro console. Nice!

I do not mean to side track this thread but I have been working on House of the rising sun for quite a while now...............The notes are not hard to sing but getting that open broad sound like Eric gets is driving me crazy................ If I manage the A4 I will lose it at the G4................

Sounds great Robert. I'm looking forward to hearing the new mix.

MD,

He's really getting the open sound (or the resonance) by staying more narrow than wide in most parts of that song. You have to catch just the right vowel (as Robert said) and keep the back of the throat open. Then you have an open airway to power into.

• Administrator

Thanks.  It has been a few days since I listed to your first recording. I wasn't sure if you replaced it or posted your new mix elsewhere.

In regards to House of the Rising Sun.........Do not practice Wind and Release while driving...........:mellow:.......;)

Funny... 

Can I also add... do NOT, I repeat, do NOT practice the Neutral vocal mode, with sirens while driving a motorcycle. Been there, tried that on July 1st, 2014 and crashed my Harley and seriously could of killed myself. Busted up my left arm and was in the hospital for two days... and I shit you not, what I recall is, I was doing Neutral vowel sirens inside my helmet... stupid.

• Administrator

Bob... if you get a big space like this on your posts... ( you too MDEW...), can you please shore it up... remove all that dead space... i don't know what is causing that, but sometimes you posts have an acre of dead real estate that is making the scroll longer and ugly...