• Administrator

WOW! Holly Shizz! It sounds really good! So, I guess that it makes a big diference taking the recording files to be mixed by a pro on a pro console. Nice!

Thanks Gneetapp... 

Uh... YES!?

The difference between a $2000 Mac Book VS $500,000+ SSL4000G Console

One ISA One Focusrite Preamp VS About four preamps with vintage settings... Jason, (the producer) made a classic "Alice in Chains" settings... he used the same techniques and preamps that were used in a lot of the AIC content. AIC is from Seattle, he knows all the original producers of those albums, etc... Engineers know that stuff.

Ya, the difference between "Rob's Home Recording Laptop Studios"... and the read deal.  Same vocal tracks, didn't change a thing on the vocal takes... just pro engineering.

Bob... if you get a big space like this on your posts... ( you too MDEW...), can you please shore it up... remove all that dead space... i don't know what is causing that, but sometimes you posts have an acre of dead real estate that is making the scroll longer and ugly... 

I tried to fix mine and it just got worse. Not sure why it happens. I hope your arm healed OK. I have been wondering about that.

Awesome, Rob, That new mix kicks some serious boo-tay. Not to diminish your own mixing but I like how there is now some sonic space between the lead and background vocals. It makes better sense to me, now.

As for singing while operating a motor vehicle, it's a natural talent of mine.  I can sing "Don't Look Back" while driving my car, which is a standard transmission, while doing about .8 Mach on our version of the Autobahn, known locally as the Sam Rayburn Tollway, which is the toll road section of State Highway 121. I fly the section of it between I-35E (Stemmons Freeway) in Lewisville and US 75 (North Central Distressway, I mean, Expressway) in McKinney, for those familiar with the Metroplex area.

• Administrator

Yes, 10th anniversary, limited edition, all chrome , 2004 v-rod. After the accident, I was not going to get another bike ... But then, I looked at Craigslist and there she was... 

Its the old style v-rod, with the cool , fat tube frame... The new v-rods all look pussed out . The original design like mine is mean.

• Administrator

Ok, now the track has been Mastered... so this is the FINAL, FINAL... you can hear the difference between a final mix and then what that mix sounds like after it has been mastered.

Enjoy.

In a sense, the mastering process makes a SUPER great recording and final mix, sound like an album. It is kind of like a mix for the entire wall of sound, not each how each instrument is leveled against each other. The mix, "mixes" each instrument and voice at different levels and blends them all together as several tracks or parts that make a song... the Mastering process, is more like an EQs of the final mix a whole or one unit.

Mastering is also the final touches that make every song in a project sound like it came from THAT project. For example AC/DCs album, "Back in Black" has all the same mastering settings for every song, so that these songs sound like they came from the "Back in Black" album and not the "Highway to Hell" album... see timestamp, 7:20.

What Is Mastering?

Yes, 10th anniversary, limited edition, all chrome , 2004 v-rod. After the accident, I was not going to get another bike ... But then, I looked at Craigslist and there she was... 

Its the old style v-rod, with the cool , fat tube frame... The new v-rods all look pussed out . The original design like mine is mean.

If it is one of the early ones, then you have good horsepower. Because with the v-rod, the govt. started limiting total dB of the bike sound. So, H-D had to start designing sound absorbing jugs and and valve covers (for those who don't know, the valve cover gave the engine it's nickname. Such as the Evo motor being called a blockhead. My favorite was the late 60's shovelhead. In fact, my favorite, which I saw re-built and could not afford was a early 69' shovelhead, last of the original iron, king and queen seat with sissy bar, 12 inch ape-hangers, original gear case, shorty out the back, the only thing not OEM was a 42 mm Del Orto carb and breather out the side, spring over shock suspension ... but I digress ....

One might call me a devotee of H-D motorcycles, though I like other brands and truly admired the engineering quality and performance of early Honda Goldwings, designed to originally compete with the BMW "Boxer". (Ron, shut up, please ...) 75 1/2 Goldwing, from the factory, 88 hp at the rear wheel, 0 to 60 in 4 seconds. Even the Aspencade baggers could pop a wheelie ...

It's sad, really.  I am one of the few that knows that Harley-Davidson first offered all-chain drive as an option in 1912. By 1913, it was standard equipment. Panheads could run for years if you just adjusted the tappets every once in a while. Knuckleheads had better valving. Shovelheads had better oil delivery until H-D was bought out by AMF. Willie Davidson bought the company back in the 80's and brought out the blockhead (Evo) and negative suspension with a reverse shock under the frame, called the "Soft Tail Supension.

Okay, I promise, I will shut up ...

Ok, now the track has been Mastered... so this is the FINAL, FINAL... you can hear the difference between a final mix and then what that mix sounds like after it has been mastered.

Enjoy.

In a sense, the mastering process makes a SUPER great recording and final mix, sound like an album. It is kind of like a mix for the entire wall of sound, not each how each instrument is leveled against each other. The mix, "mixes" each instrument and voice at different levels and blends them all together as several tracks or parts that make a song... the Mastering process, is more like an EQs of the final mix a whole or one unit.

Mastering is also the final touches that make every song in a project sound like it came from THAT project. For example AC/DCs album, "Back in Black" has all the same mastering settings for every song, so that these songs sound like they came from the "Back in Black" album and not the "Highway to Hell" album... see timestamp, 7:20.

What Is Mastering?

Nice and crunchy. I like it. Sounds massive.

And I have seen the video you linked. And it is a good point he makes though obliquely. A mastering engineer has to be a different person. The artist or the recording guy might have really liked a part and made it prominent. The mastering guy has an objectivity that says "yeah, nice science experiment but it is distracting."

What kind of mastering engineer to choose? One who has worked on popular albums, especially if the songs or album won an award or two. Kind of simple. Want a grammy-winning album? Hire a grammy-winning mastering guy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Hi Guys... The final presentation... after:

- Tracking vocals.

- comping vocals.

- mixing vocals with bed track.

- mastering the final audio.

- filming.

- film editing (choosing cameras, angles and shots for the video composition).

- one more final video edit by me after I got it back from my film guy to add some more cool touches to the lighting.

- creation of video thumb.

- upload, titled, description, annotations.

Boom, now she is done... 

Mdew

My arm healed and I purchased a new bike this summer.

image.thumb.jpeg.c73d5146111b2652d8e1b79image.thumb.jpeg.ee0cf3a979e3bf5473ac80c

Damn Lunte!  Cruising in style!  Badass bike man I am sure you "own it" well.  :)

By the way Adolph, I know the notifications don't seem to be going through when messages send so if you see this and didn't get my message due to this glitch please check it out when you have the time, thank you.

I agree with Adolph. Bravo!

This is a good example of how to do ---- everything. Onsets nailed every time. Perfect distance from the mic when actually singing. And staying relaxed throughout, however you feel.

And kudos for showing Seattle pride. That might be beside the point but cool t-shirt.

Guys, this is how to sing. I have said so many times, you can learn so much by listening to Robert, as much or more as you might from reading words.

• 2 weeks later...