Fear of Failure Before A Gig

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hello everyone!

I have started a new program from eli prinsen called hvt master series. Really great program i can recomend it to rock/metal singers. I am starting to train the technique of thinning out the chest voice instead of going to falsetto or head voice on the higher notes. I am still training and it will probably take a long time before i get there. But the problem is our band has a show on saturday and in that song there is a high note B4 which i cant really hit. I want it to sound as clean as possible but it turns out sounding very distorted. Almost like Chris Cornell.

Any tips because i have struggled with that note for months now?

It would be helpful for you to post a sample of you singing the song.......... There are elements that can only be determined by hearing how YOU approach the note.

Basic factors are Support, Resonance, Vowel, larynx position. Record the song the way you sing it with the band. The words being sung can influence how to sing them........Some consonants and vowels promote good airflow and stability and some hinder airflow and stability.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

• Administrator

Hey Simpan, it is great to see you again... 

Would love to help you with this...

Your post is in the "Review My Singing" forum, where it belongs. 

When you ask the community to listen to your singing and give you feedback, that is "Review My Singing".

"Review My Singing" is a service... we don't "Review" your singing and give you consultations for free. 

Here are the plans that are available to you, that will allow you to read the replies and participate in the "Review My Singing" service.

http://www.themodernvocalistworld.com/store/category/2-premium-membership-plans/

Hi Simpan24, it sounds like you are yelling/shouting instead of singing. You need to make several micro adjustments in your vocal tract to be able to transition to a B4, especially stepping off the gas pedal and following resonance. Because you are not making the adjustments you are hitting a ceiling and choking. I think it is very common in male voices (untrained), as I too have struggled with the same problem, until I learned to overcome my passaggio. Good thing you are training with a method already. But I don't think you can learn and "master" this coordination in such a short time, as you also need to built the muscles. Of course, I may be completely mistaken, as I'm not a vocal teacher or an advanced vocal student. Good luck.