• TMV World Member

I want to join the choir in my school and I'm not sure what type of a singer I am (soprano, mezzo, alto etc.). I can sing okay low and also kind of high sometimes so I'm confused on what would be my optimal range... Any help would be appreciated! :)

I'm relatively new to singing and I know my technique is far from perfect so any constructive critism is also welcome!

My soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/tiinamaria

Thanks!

• TMV World Legacy Member

What does the choir teacher at  your school say? Have you talked to him or her and has he or she listened to you sing? In addition, what voice type you is hard to define at the beginning of training. Better to learn some things and see where your voice leads you.

I remember a story of a singer who was classified as a baritone but he could never get the right ring. Well, he was typed as a baritone by a teacher who though men should be baritones. Until he went to another teacher who had him try some different things and turns out that he was actually a lyric tenor.

So, don't worry about your voice until you have been evaluated and learn where you strengths will lead you.

• TMV World Member

What does the choir teacher at  your school say? Have you talked to him or her and has he or she listened to you sing? In addition, what voice type you is hard to define at the beginning of training. Better to learn some things and see where your voice leads you.

I remember a story of a singer who was classified as a baritone but he could never get the right ring. Well, he was typed as a baritone by a teacher who though men should be baritones. Until he went to another teacher who had him try some different things and turns out that he was actually a lyric tenor.

So, don't worry about your voice until you have been evaluated and learn where you strengths will lead you.

The choir basicaIIy just wants us to know our own voice type and go from there, there's a Iot of peopIe so the teacher doesn't reaIIy have time to evaIuate aII of us individuaIIy. I've been singing for the amount of time (2 years) and I think my voice is probabIy at the stage one couId determine what type it is :>