Rate this topic

Joe. W

Hi everyone, so I was wondering how you guys got the hang of vocal cord closure, since my singing teacher always just goes "play around with it" and most the time I end up narrowing my AES, realize that, and then try again from the start. I know I can do it because she did this thing where she tells me to close my eyes, think of something silly or something that makes me want to laugh and then sing like that, and it worked, but it doesn't always work. It's frustrating because I can do the other things she teaches, but I can't seem to do that and it's integral to vocal health to be able to get rid of breathiness. I think it may have something to do with the fact that she groups the closure with retraction of the false vocal cords, as taught by the Estill training program. Any help?

Also, I have this weird break high up in my falsetto, and some people say it leads up to the whistle register, but when I sing above it, the sound that comes out is definitely sharper and louder, but not the same as sounds produced in the whistle register. Anybody have the same thing?

Hi Joe, may I humbly suggest you to upload a video or audio file showing the problem? This way, people here will have a much easier time trying to help ou, instead of trying to figure it out what you mean in your description. Cheers

I'd be interested to know what the experts have to say.  I'm guessing it's a matter of practicing a coordination in the larynx where one part of it you must keep relaxed (false folds) and at the same time activate another part (true folds)?

In my experience its better to tackle one thing at a time. If the problem is incomplete closure, high intensity phonation on "lower" vowels, in special AH on the low range, keeping the placement low/almost throaty, works well. Other exercises like counting out loud, using a "call" voice, and similars that increases the intensity will also help you achieve what you need.

Just make sure you are getting loud and that you use the minimal amount of air you can, choke on the air and seal these suckers :P. Just dont go high like this, not a very good idea, and when you get tired, stop and rest.

The thing is aswell the retraction of the falsefolds as estill mentions does not really happen. It's something they are going to change in the feauture cause research has show it does nit happen the way they describe.

The thing is aswell the retraction of the falsefolds as estill mentions does not really happen. It's something they are going to change in the feauture cause research has show it does nit happen the way they describe.

I see. I always thought that was odd because in those videos where people sang with tiny cameras down their noses, it wasn't as dramatic as it was described to me in words, though to some extent they were relaxed towards the outer edges of the voicebox.

Yeah, i know but the thing nowdays people talk more about nessecary twang instead of falsefold retraction for a free sound. Wich is a narrowing above the folds more or less the oposite of falsefold retraction. 

However let me highlight the exercises used for falsefold retraction do work however what happens down in the voicebox does not line up with the descriptions in the books.

Cheers

Haha I suppose AES narrowing is a fair bit easier, especially since my teacher was a musical theatre singer so she's big on that. It does feel like polar opposites at that, one wanting me to open everything up and the otehr saying close my throat to a moderate degree.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah,  it's kind of weird. Because you need to "contract" while releasing and keep it open, haha  

What has helped me a lot to get the necessary twang lately is thinking about doing the vowels without even moving my jaw and lips, just like a ventriloquist.
You can make all the vowels just by shaping the vocal tract, so whenever I have trouble I just think of doing an bright AH with my mouth open just a tiiiny bit and use that pharyngeal position in the other vowels that require more twang in that moment ( Usually OOs and OH's in my case )

False vocal fold retraction ( I already read Jens's post ), or at least the stretching of vocal tract spaces, I guess could be practiced by the sighing coodrination. The very low larynx, fully open glottis position.
( I do this often, as I like to stretch in general. I feel my throat more relaxed after I find that position and sustain if for 10 or 15 seconds, a few times )

I'm serious Joe.  Warm up first!

Then do crying. Cry into the vocal folds on a "ahh" as in plastic. Not "ah" as in hot, but "ahh." Use a comfortable pitch for now.

Use volume.  Don't overdo things. Whine and cry not looking for it to sound good.  Throat stays relaxed, jaw, mouth, all stays relaxed.  Mentally isolate the vocal folds as if you could feel them. You want to just work the musculature that brings them together. Do short 3-second spurts of "ahh". Just a couple of minutes.  Don't overdo, don't overthink.

When I first started working on engaging chest, my vocal coach told me to onset every word on my practice song with a fry and slide it up to the note, then I started doing a little fry ON the note... and then I just started the word normally, trying to keep that closure.

The fry was started in low volume and low breath pressure, and then ON the note I would swell up on volume and give more breath. Otherwise I think it could train wrong coordinations or even harm your voice is overdone.

I hope this helps you in any way