sometimes all you need is it explained a certain way

Rate this topic

VideoHere

hi folks,

ever notice how you'll read, study, listen and watch, but some things need additional explanation to help you really get it? well, this morning i stumbled across this video, and just the way he went about explaining it, the way he articulated and sang things really helped me a lot. i guess you could say it hit home with me.

i hope it might help you too.

I agree, Bob. Well phrased and excellent examples. The balance he is talking about is what I most often aim for. And I may have messed myself up going for supertwang. Others might be able to do it freely. Maybe I'm not one of them. And even though many here value lots of distortion, I may not be capable of it and I don't normally seek it, even when performing songs that originally were sung with a lot of distortion. For example, I am inspired by Axl Rose but I don't think I can get the sound that he does. And I am fine with that. I like the rock feeling of AC/DC, even though my throat is an entirely different construction than that of Bon Scott or Brian Johnson. And I accept that, too. And even on a clean song, like "I don't believe in love," I don't sound like Geoff Tate. And I'm cool with that, too.

Some of our favorite singers do have a predilection towards one effect or another, something that may be "overdoing it" for some of us. So, we have to find what works for us. So, instead of, say, asking myself, do I sound like Axl or Bon or Rob or Geoff or Bruce on this or that song, the important question is, can I do the note free and easy, no pain or discomfort, no lasting ill effects.

I like Brett's mental images. And sonic images. Sometimes, images do more for me than technical explanations, even though I am a scientific guy. Ah, sweet irony.

I agree, Bob. Well phrased and excellent examples. The balance he is talking about is what I most often aim for. And I may have messed myself up going for supertwang. Others might be able to do it freely. Maybe I'm not one of them. And even though many here value lots of distortion, I may not be capable of it and I don't normally seek it, even when performing songs that originally were sung with a lot of distortion. For example, I am inspired by Axl Rose but I don't think I can get the sound that he does. And I am fine with that. I like the rock feeling of AC/DC, even though my throat is an entirely different construction than that of Bon Scott or Brian Johnson. And I accept that, too. And even on a clean song, like "I don't believe in love," I don't sound like Geoff Tate. And I'm cool with that, too.

Some of our favorite singers do have a predilection towards one effect or another, something that may be "overdoing it" for some of us. So, we have to find what works for us. So, instead of, say, asking myself, do I sound like Axl or Bon or Rob or Geoff or Bruce on this or that song, the important question is, can I do the note free and easy, no pain or discomfort, no lasting ill effects.

I like Brett's mental images. And sonic images. Sometimes, images do more for me than technical explanations, even though I am a scientific guy. Ah, sweet irony.

i'm in the process of experimenting with chord closure degree/weight. i find i want to shoot for the least amount required to get the tone. i can never be accused of blowing air by the chords or singing breathy, that's for sure..lol!!!\

i like the feeling of working the chords...they can feel like they're inside the throat working as if nothing else is around them...i find if i acheive that, a great pingy ringing tone follows...