Child in Time - a vocal suicide by DJ Deth

Rate this topic

Hi!

I thought I would share my effort on this very difficult (at least for me:) song. I always wanted to sing it, but I was never able to hit the highest notes in the scream section. I finally figured a way to do it, so here are my first A5's ever recorded :) I still don't think it's the proper way to sing them though. Please share your opinion and suggestions. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.box.net/shared/ynovfehj3v

Cheers!

Well done, DJ. Even though I can hear your accent (your unmodified vowels and s's give that away) which doesn't hurt the song and the low and mid range, you actually have timbres similar to Ian Gillan. On the high notes, you were on pitch. If you're looking to do the Gillan sound, I would suggest smiling, which will add some twang, basically brightening the note. Yours were operatic, which is not a bad thing, at all. It just depends on what sound you are going for. So, my comments are not criticism, just pointers for stylistic reasons, if you are seeking a Gillan - "ish" sound on the high notes.

But I didn't hear any technical problems and I like your choice of vocal melody variations in the low and mid range.

Ronws, thanks for the reply, glad you liked the variations. About the tone brightening - do you think I should add more twang on the last scream section (the one beggining on A5), or also on the lower screams (those starting on F5)?

You did a great job here, DjDeth, your technique on the lower notes seems flawless, at least it sounded well. Everything sounded well. I only reacted a little when i heard the last high notes, how to improve that i am not 100 % sure of but i think Ron´s advice to add more twang would solve the problem. It sounded like you changed vowel from the more open "aaa" sound to a more closed "ooo" sound there, , i don´t know if that has something to do with it. The first screams sounded very well to me at least.

Ronws, thanks for the reply, glad you liked the variations. About the tone brightening - do you think I should add more twang on the last scream section (the one beggining on A5), or also on the lower screams (those starting on F5)?

Yes, that would give a more Gillan-esque flavor to those notes. Again, just a style suggestion, depending on what you want it to sound like. It sounds fine like it is.

When it comes to high screams I prefer the raw, agressive style of the ones like Kai Hansen, Daniel Heiman, Eric Adams, Ripper or Gillan, so that would probably be the way to go for me:) The problem is that it's difficult for me to add twang without engaging some musles that are causing strain around my larynx and under my chin. I don't know how to isolate the right musles properly I think.

That would be a problem. What about a grimace? When Axl Rose hits high notes, he usually has a grimace on his face. That's not just for "emoting" to the audience, that sets up his resonance. So, you might just experiment, as long as you don't hurt yourself. Find out what face it is that you make to create a bright, almost ringing tone.