Gidday all - please critique!

Rate this topic

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/25145948/20_To_Life_MixB_.m4a

Im in a Band from Melbourne Australia called Dead Star Renegade and im a nooob here :)

We've just finished recording our Debut Album, but this link above is from one of the "pre production" demos that we did.

Interested to hear some advise on advice on how im going.....cheers!

Ahh look while im here I may as well put up a Video as well hahaa..

The night we did this show I had just started getting over a bad bad chest cold... and we only had a 30 min set and im sure as you can tell by the end of this (the last song) I was completely knackered and vocaly, fried.

Any tips?

I'm just listening to the demo song as I type this. Excellent vocals! The beginning reminded me of Axl Rose actually but you have your own vibe going on too. I have a question for you though... did you use falsetto in a few places to be able to reach the notes or what it an artistic choice? I felt that the falsetto took a little something away from the rest of the performance. Like you lost a little aggression or edge on those few spots.

Overall I'm really impressed with your singing and the song itself and the rest of the band sounded very good. Thanks for sharing this with us and welcome to the best vocal forum on the planet! :)

Hope you don't mind but I remastered the demo and gave it more dynamics and it kicks even more ass now! Hope you like what I did. ;) Here's a download link for ya...

https://files.me.com/muskysnax/k2p0nk.mp3

If you play it back to back with the original you will really hear the difference.

I agree with Mike. Definitely an Axl Rose timbre, at least at the low end, similar to how he sang on "It's So Easy." Interesting time sig shifts. The falsetto does provide an interesting juxtaposition of vocal texture.

I saw the video of the other song. That was cool, too. Excellent stage manner. You've got everything I don't have. A band, gigs, an Axl Rose voice. There's not much I can think of to help you.

I'm just listening to the demo song as I type this. Excellent vocals! The beginning reminded me of Axl Rose actually but you have your own vibe going on too. I have a question for you though... did you use falsetto in a few places to be able to reach the notes or what it an artistic choice? I felt that the falsetto took a little something away from the rest of the performance. Like you lost a little aggression or edge on those few spots.

Overall I'm really impressed with your singing and the song itself and the rest of the band sounded very good. Thanks for sharing this with us and welcome to the best vocal forum on the planet! :)

Thanks man! Yeah the Falsetto bits were an artistic choice, just something a little different and unexpected I suppose. Ive kept it that way for the Album...which is getting mixed in the next couple of weeks, so I might put 1 or 2 of the mixed songs up here for some critique once we get them done. Ive never been compared to Axl before, I often get told I sound a little like Ozzy Osbourne...either way I do love those guys vocals! My Fave singers are the Dickensons, Halfords, Tates etc and im a huge Sebastian Bach fan.

And thanks for the mastering, we actually didnt get that song mastered as it was "just" a demo with a rough mix. I like what you did with it cheers!

I agree with Mike. Definitely an Axl Rose timbre, at least at the low end, similar to how he sang on "It's So Easy." Interesting time sig shifts. The falsetto does provide an interesting juxtaposition of vocal texture.

I saw the video of the other song. That was cool, too. Excellent stage manner. You've got everything I don't have. A band, gigs, an Axl Rose voice. There's not much I can think of to help you.

Thanks mate. That was the last song of the set and yeah I was spent by that stage, couldn't hit the high notes at all. Been looking into speech level singing to try to help with vocal fatigue but no idea how you incorporate Sls into rock singing haha! I'll work it out eventually... Maybe I just need to get fitter?

I suggest working with Robert Lunte over Skype. He's the man when it comes to hard rocking vocals without a doubt. not that other teachers aren't good either but if you want to cut through the bullshit and get to the real dirt, Robert's your man.

I agree with Mike. And if you want to hear the proof of what he does with singers who work with him, there are vids on youtube and there may be links on the main page of this site that will show vids of the result Lunte's work.

Hope you don't mind but I remastered the demo and gave it more dynamics and it kicks even more ass now! Hope you like what I did. ;) Here's a download link for ya...

https://files.me.com/muskysnax/k2p0nk.mp3

If you play it back to back with the original you will really hear the difference.

Not much to critique.. nice tight rockin tune. well done.

Snax...

I have a question for you.

I dont want to hijack this thread. But can you explain what you did to that file to "remaster" and "snaxify" it? I always struggle to get enough power into any recordings i do.

Thanks.

Not much to critique.. nice tight rockin tune. well done.

Snax...

I have a question for you.

I dont want to hijack this thread. But can you explain what you did to that file to "remaster" and "snaxify" it? I always struggle to get enough power into any recordings i do.

Thanks.

Here's a link to the Sonnox Oxford plugins that I used. These demo videos answer a lot of your questions... http://www.sonnoxplugins.com/pub/plugins/tutorial-videos.htm

The Inflator and Limiter in particular I use during final mixing and mastering. They add punch like nothing else I've heard.

Amen to that. I've been working on another song and I tried a leveller function instead of compressor because I have had problems with compressor changing the tuning of a note. I think it's what causes some of the notes to sound slightly flat, at least for me. So, definitely experiment with the proccessing chain. I've been learning in the recording section of the forum that even the pro singers with more years of doing it than I have also have to use effects to get the recording to sound "real." Sometimes that includes correcting pitch. I am learning that a tone that sounds on pitch in real life doesn't always sound that way on a recording, especially in a digital format. A person recently mixed a version of a song for me and mentioned having to use pitch correction. At first, I thought, "what happened? I know I sang that song in tune. I was here." But, aside from a few actual sliding pitches, I have begun to realize that recording and live are two different things. I know that sounds simple and obvious. Well, I am a simple guy and sometimes have to learn the obvious things. Sorry to ramble. Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.