Modern Figure - All The Good Things (Indie/shoegaze)

• Review My Singing Membership

Hey hey! New song I finished two weeks ago or so.

So, from the start let me say that I'm not a typical singer that I think frequents the forums, in other words I'm really not much of a traditional singer at all and I suck lol. I'd perform absolutely awful singing to pop songs or others where there is a huge amount of skill and years of training involved and required. I'm not a trained singer at all, I just wing it and hope for the best.

Ok, so with that said: a few friends have said I have a weird voice and way of singing, just something that's a bit different I suppose. I'm very self conscious about it especially when I hear other singers in alt rock/shoegaze bands. When I hear my singing in comparison I'm like "Oh, that's awkward sounding, sounds like sh*t", yet singing like this is very natural for me, nothing forced (I've tried singing differently and it just feels like I'm trying to do voice acting/karaoke or something). I don't really have any singers that I look up to or have influences, just doing my own thing which makes me feel more isolated and unsure.

I'm concerned with making sure the vocals are up to par since i'm stuck with em, that they are interesting, "good" (relative term, I know :p), and most importantly that they at least stand out somewhat in a musically pleasing way. Any thoughts / advice / tips / suggestions / or general comments are totally welcome, good or bad.

Not really much vocal effects used other than compression and very light reverb on one vocal track or two. No EQing or anything else, I just try to make sure the recording sits in the mix when I first capture it that way I don't need to mix/process later, because I know nothing about mixing and processing especially something as complex and dynamic as vocals.

Cheers!