Critique my vocals please

• TMV World Legacy Member

I try to sing a song by Dokken "the cry of the gipsy. I think i know what my biggest problem is but i would like to get a confirmation from you guys here. Please point out my flaws and give me some suggestions of how i could correct them. I will not get offended so please throw it on me. I want to improve my singing and right now i have some ideas but don´t really have the tools. I hope my voice isn´t drowning too much in the music.

Thanx in advance/ Ola

My first response would be, how do you feel about your vocals? Do you listen back to your recordings? The song you posted has your vocals drowned out a bit, but it seems you were off pitch quite a bit.

I would work with scales on a keyboard and record the sessions until your sure you have the notes/pitch down..

I agree with tsitalon1. Doing scales will improve your ability to stay on key.

I also found you sounded closed and tense.

I think you need to open your throat more, lower the stress level in your shoulders (Keep the shoulders relaxed), push with the diaphram instead of the larynx more as well.

A great method I have found is to put your fingers on your adams apple and when you sing, try to keep your adams apple low. We have a tendancy to raise it (like when you swallow). That is a great way to conduct your scales as well, while keeping it low.

Cheers,

David.

I have the best tip lay on the floor when you practice make sure your body is in a relaxed position knees up feet flat . Try humming the song through at least 5 times then sing, stay on your back untill you hear a relaxed sound the more you relax the better the sound

• TMV World Member

I try to sing a song by Dokken "the cry of the gipsy. I think i know what my biggest problem is but i would like to get a confirmation from you guys here. Please point out my flaws and give me some suggestions of how i could correct them. I will not get offended so please throw it on me. I want to improve my singing and right now i have some ideas but don´t really have the tools. I hope my voice isn´t drowning too much in the music.

Olem: Question: Did you play the track through speakers and record your voice and the track at the same time with a mic? If so, a suggestion... get some earphones, plug in, and hold 1 side on an ear and leave the other ear open. This will help by allowing you to hear the accompanyment and your voice clearly at the same time. It can help smooth out some of the pitch inaccuracies.

Best Regards, Steven Fraser

Many thanx for the tips you guys. Yes i reckon i have a problem to be on pitch when i sing. Since i am not pleased with how my head voice sounds i usually belt when i sing this kind of music and when i belt i guess i tense up alot when i try to reach for notes like tenor c´s. Steven: i do listen by head phones but not the way you recommend, i will try that.

• 1 month later...

I agree with the pitch issues. I'm a bit tone deaf myself :( Onto the vocals.

I like how you're opening your throat, I think that's what's letting you go high without breaking, however you're also covering the sound to make it darker (might be messing with your pitch a bit, basically Kermit the frog sound). I'm also not sure, but I think you're over singing a bit so you're losing control of the sound. Work your support, and sing lightly but firmly!

Get rid of Kermit, sing a little lighter, and connect the voice with your support a bit more. That's my advice :) Love the pic man, you look so happy :)