Still working on my pitch. How am i doing so far?

• TMV World Legacy Member

I've been on a couple times. I'm back again. ALways value the advice and criticism i get here. Pitch seems to be my biggest issue. SOO, i'm at your mercy guys. FRESH MEAT! COME AND GET IT! lol

http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/cb1304c24

"I'm no jive-ass turkey, I'm a THRIVE-ass turkey!"

First off, well done. I like this song and I usually remember the Jeff Buckley performance. This reminded me somewhat of that. I only heard what I thought were a few pitch problems but nothing fatal and maybe it was a trick of recording. I like the tones you have on this recording. I'm thinking it's a combination of how you mixed the tracks and the fact that you are singing this somewhat softer than other things I have heard you sing. I'm not a professional analyst of auditory things. I thought you might have been 1/4 step off at the end, which is hard to qualify. Even though I have listened to middle eastern music with it's use of 1/4 and 1/2 steps that doesn't mean that's what I am hearing now. I have noticed in post-recording mixing, sometimes a generated effect will chop off overtones and parts of whole tones.

But on the whole, I liked this one.

From what i understand, which is not vast, the site that i recorded this track on Adds some slight reverb, and a little compression. There are lots of folks that have mixers and further equipment on the back end. Its just me and my mic. So any slight pitch issues are definately mine. LOL. Just trying to work out the kinks. I feel a little out of place here, as i have never had a formal music lesson, don't read music, and am not familiar with 90 percent of the terms that are used here. But the only stupid question is the one never asked. SOOO, when you say quarter or half step, what does that mean. BTW. thank you sooo much for the listen and critique. I listened to your youtube recording of Gethsemane. I loved the metal scream(which i'm sure has an italian sounding name here, lol) I can honestly say, YOU KNOW YOUR PITCH! Thanks again my friend.

WOOF!

"I'm no jive-ass turkey, I'm a THRIVE-ass turkey!"

From what i understand, which is not vast, the site that i recorded this track on Adds some slight reverb, and a little compression. There are lots of folks that have mixers and further equipment on the back end. Its just me and my mic. So any slight pitch issues are definately mine. LOL. Just trying to work out the kinks. I feel a little out of place here, as i have never had a formal music lesson, don't read music, and am not familiar with 90 percent of the terms that are used here. But the only stupid question is the one never asked. SOOO, when you say quarter or half step, what does that mean. BTW. thank you sooo much for the listen and critique. I listened to your youtube recording of Gethsemane. I loved the metal scream(which i'm sure has an italian sounding name here, lol) I can honestly say, YOU KNOW YOUR PITCH! Thanks again my friend.

WOOF!

No, thank you for the positive review. That one has been getting what I call good reviews, which is anything someone says that does not involve saying "please, stop, for the sake of humanity!" That is, if it didn't totally turn someone off, it might have been a success.

Believe it or not, that is not a scream. It's actually a resonated note but it is indeed, quite loud, even in person. Or, perhaps, we should define scream. To me, a scream is not resonated, involves way too much air and inevitably hurts the voice. The high notes in this song caused me no pain or discomfort and were easy for me to do. Primarily, I think, because for those notes, I am mostly in head voice. Not a lot of twang that I can feel but perhaps some of the twang has become second nature to me. So is the vibrato at that pitch. I didn't feel any strain at all.

I've had mixed luck with compression, myself. Sometimes, to me, it shaves off some of the notes or overtones to try and fit in its envelope.

As for musical education, I learned to read music from my step-grandfather. My mother couldn't afford much. She gave me her old student guitar, a new set of strings, and Mel Bay's Book of Chords. I taught myself how to play guitar, never a lesson. Same with singing. I have never had a vocal instructor. And, until this place, I never had much of a source but some books from the libary but, by far, the best was Graham Hewitt's "How to sing olympically." When I was in high school, I had already studied music theory to some extent but took a music theory class, as did my other guitar freak friends. It was an easy course for us. But I have never felt my education was or is complete.

Even so, I am learning here, as well by what is meant by belting. What I used to think of belting is what they call overdrive, here in this forum. I just put up another song. An old irish folk song that has been a hit for a few people, called "Whiskey in the Jar." But next, I would like to do another favorite from "Jesus Christ, Superstar." And that would "Heaven on their Minds." For that is also a cynical, worrisome subject matter of a song.

Pianos and guitars are made to make whole tone steps and half-tone steps. In eastern and middle-eastern music, they also make tones that are in between whole and half. Many times, it is 1/4 tone. I can't do 1/4 tones on a fretted guitar. I can sound close with a mix of mixolydian and locrian modes but it is just an approximation in !/2 tones, unless I bend a string a bit.