I Want To Learn How To Sing- Critique My Singing

• TMV World Legacy Member

Welcome to the forum.

First off, everyone has potential man. I was an abomination when I started, and through hard work and stubbornness, I am less abominable. You have potential, as does anyone with a set of vocal folds.

I wasn't familiar with the Maroon 5 song, so I had a listen to the original first. First observation is that you are singing the song significantly lower than the original, perhaps because you sang it without taking a pitch reference first, and also that's probably your comfort zone vocally. Not a problem, but just an observation.

You mentioned you have just started with Ken Tamplin's program? excellent. That's also my poison, and will take you far, if you put in the hard work. He hammers on about 'support' a LOT, and that's something you need a lot more of. You sound a bit unsure of yourself... and aren't really getting into your resonant singing voice. Don't be afraid to be louder. Start supporting, and working on your resonance (will help when you start taking the song up to correct pitch).

I'll leave it for others more knowledgeable to get into more technical stuff. I don't know the song well, but your pitching sounds ok, and will be better still with solid support.

So good start! and keep at it. The people on this forum will be helpful and encouraging.

Nick

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I realize I am singing it lower but that's just my comfort zone.. I probably could of sung it higher but I just wanted to get the video out and get some feedback from you guys.

Yes, I have started KT's program about a week ago. I just bought the first disk so im just doing the warm ups with vowel mod's and your basic lip roll. Im pretty sure I know how to open the throat now and im just going to keep practicing for the next couple of months and hopefully it'll stick.

I will probably post another video of me singing because I was actually reading the lyrics off the computer due to the fact that I forgot some. So that might be why I seemed unsure of myself when I was singing..? I'll choose a more familiar song.

But thanks for the advice. I'll work on my support and follow KT's program though.

Thanks, Nick

Here is how I would classify what you have done. First steps :) When a baby reaches the point where it will start to walk it teeters and falls. That isn't walking. Sometimes it can't even stand long. But then one day it takes its first steps and that is cause for celebration! That is an accomplishment. From there you can already see a future of running. But you'll not run if you don't first walk. I think today, you walked. You took your first steps because that wasn't falling, that was singing. Granted, sort of equivalent to a baby's first steps; shakey and unbalanced and a bit unsure, but singing none the less. Before you know it you'll be running. Just keep practicing.

Good job

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

;)