Can You Hear Me? Kim Taeyeon - cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

This song has always had personal significance for me, but not so much lyrically as aurally and emotionally. My goal for this recording was to emote the same feelings of forlorn and confusion that Taeyeon tried to convey through the lyric, through my vocal. All feedback is welcome-- but I'd like to know if it felt "connected" enough as a whole, because I feel as though the emotion matters in this song a lot.

Original song with English lyrics:

Cover link: https://app.box.com/s/pir59d8v2vdg2ppndvxy

"The journey in between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."
-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud

I liked the interpretation a lot. You seem to care a lot about dynamics and phrasing details. The only things I need to point out is that it is very breathy, and your vibrato is produced because of a lack of support.

I am going to assume that it is a permanent technique thing and not just in this song.

The breathyness comes from not closing the folds in a correct way, you are leaving them open with a lot of air passing through. I know how that feels, haha, I used to sing like that, and even more breathy, specially on my high chest notes ( I had no headvoice ). All the dynamics you are trying to use, which are fine, very emotional, will be far more easy when you learn to control the adduction of the folds.

In that way it is very easy to play with volume and the brassyness of the tone. And also the high notes will come easier.

Now your vibrato is made because of a lack of support. It's mostly produced because the air that passes through your folds has a rythm and pushes air in those intervals. Breath support will correct that, and then you'll probably have the laryngeal vibrato quite right. :)

If you have any questions send me an email, mate, I'll be happy to help.

Thanks, I don't think I'm usually this breathy, but I guess I was overthinking the dynamic and using improper technique! My vibrato did feel weird in this key, especially the low notes, and I can see what you mean now about the air just streaming out in a rhythm to create an artificial vibrato :S I kept trying to play around in different keys but since the range in this song extends so far I ended up falling short in either the beginning verse or the climax, so this seemed to work best-- but I need to fix my low vibrato and learn better breath support to accomodate :)

"The journey in between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."
-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud