Would appreciate feedback

Rate this topic

Hi there everyone

If youhave the time could you take a listen to this song and let me know your thoughts. I am having problems with my vocal range and could use some advice.

Regards and best wishes

Vince

Song is www.myspace.com/theextranjero - it is the first song on the list ("Crazy Lady")

HI there,

HI there! Had a listen - it appears that you're losing a lot of breath when you sing (i.e. your notes sound very 'breathy'), which implies that you're not supporting. If you sort out the support issue, you'll find a more 'connected' voice and will then be able to start working better with resonance. :)

I saw that you posted elsewhere on the forum about range-stretching exercises' - in the first instance it's not actually those that you need (in my opinion), it's underlying breath support: once that's in place your range will improve a little automatically, but then with exercise will improve enormously. However, if you try to do range building on an unsupported voice you're more than likely to hurt yourself. I'd check yourself in to see a reputable vocal coach to get that support thing sorted - it opens up the voice almost instantly when taught well!

Hi Ria

thanks for the advice. However it took me nearly two years to find a vocal coach locally and then another two years to find another (and they both teach opera) no one has ever mentioned anything about breath support so I doubt they know about it (the first coach I was with six months and after six months was about the same as when I started)

So finding a reputable vocal coach is not an option unfortunately (unless you know of one on the Costa Blanca)

But thanks for the advice I will check out what this actually means and see what I can do to resolve it

Regards

Vince

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Vince - had a listen to the song. IMO the issue is phrasing and presence. It's almost as tho you are a little too 'laid back'. If you were my student, I'd get you working on framing the words effectively so you don't sing 'from your throat', but 'from your energized lips'. If your vowels were framed properly and you sang with more 'line' (legato)... you would have more breath.

Simply put, breath IS support. If you float your voice on your breath and think through a phrase... the energy of the breath doesn't lag. How you frame your words makes a difference too. Too much unneeded movement/closing, and the breath energy meets resistance and starts to lose vitality. Lips that are too wide or relaxed, lead to breathy tone & ineffective use of the breath/loss of support.

Try singing through the song - especially the troublesome phrases - with rounded 'oh' lips while walking forward... sing boh boh boh instead of the words.

Hope that helps a little.

Hi Vince, its actually a very good song, cool lyrics...You do a decent job with it..the effects are a bit much for me; but it seems suitable for the type of beat and feel. The vocals to me lack a bit of confidence...I noticed you are from Spain? Is that correct? Is Spanish your native language? The gift of speaking never mind singing another language is terrific. I have a song that I sing in French and really enjoyed doing that. I am sure performing this song live for your fans you sound and project differently because you have support of your fans.

I believe taking notes of what others have critiqued is wise and work on it. as for range, that comes with practice...you need to continue to work on your breathing..it sounds to me that you have it, its just a little locked up.

As you reach for your crecendo's at the end of your song, I can hear what you are referring to about the range not being where you want it. Its not bad. Your voice is fine; you just need to build up some endurance. Jaime Vendera has a book called Raise Your Voice www.thevoiceconnection.com, maybe do a online lesson with him through skype...Its better if one of the vocal coaches on this forum see you live and watch your body language as you sing to best determine the right road to follow. You are in good hands.

Byron

Hi Everybody

thanks very much for the feedback. I have spent the past three weeks spending an hour or so a day 5 days a week going through Roberts Four Pillars, and there seems to be some improvement (some days its great some days ti is fine and others it seems to regress a little, but I am hoping that more practice will hopefully get me to a point that my voice becomes consistent.

Byron especially thanks so much for your encouraging words - it really means a lot. And you are right, I seem to have a problem when in front of the studio mic, but live my range just seems to hit the notes (the end high is lower than another song which I can sing no problem live, but in the studio it disappears and I seem to hit my break/Passagio.)

Anyway thanks again everybody for your comments and will keep you posted whenI finally get that "Saul on the way to Damascus" moment when it all comes together.

Regards

Vince