What am I doing wrong?

• TMV World Legacy Member

Ok, so I'm 18 years old and I've only begun singing 2-3 months ago so I don't know much about anything. Problem is, my vocal range sucks and I don't really know which type of voice I am. My voice to me sounds like a tenor but I can't really go as high as a tenor should be able to. Also my lowest note is very low for a tenor (G2) but the highest I can go is around Bb4/B4 without using falsetto of course. My highest used to be G4 but recently it has moved up.

So here's a little clip of me singing "The Kill" by 30 Seconds to Mars, The reason I chose this part is because it really pushes my voice to the max. Also excuse the echo-ey sound. I did this in Guitar Hero xD.

So what am I doing wrong here? I know I should be able to go higher but I just can't. I really need help here.

Man, if you are serious, stop doing that. You are just yelling and pushing your voice, it's not healthy. You don't have to squeeze your voice to go higher, other the contrary, you have to release it, relax. Try to get lessons from a vocal coach and you will understand better both the techniques and your voice. Regards.

Yeah, that's my problem. I don't really know how to reach those high notes other than yelling and then it sounds really bad and strained. But thanks for the advice. As I said, I haven't been singing for too long so there's still much I have to learn. I think I'll try and find a vocal coach to help me with this.