New to the site and would like a critique.

• TMV World Legacy Member

Im brand new to this site and I really like it. I've never had any vocal training, formal or unformal, and It seems there are several vocal coaches in this forum. If you would like to take a listen you can check them out on my myspace page www.myspace.com/isaacaaron Thanks Isaac!

Since noones answered yet, heres an answer to get the thread going, from an amateur, mind: Good country style, nice basic voice. You do my little trick of starting off notes with a groan. Typical problems we all have and that I recognize from myself: shutting off when you go into headvoice and making it woofy with weak closure on the vocal chords to try to compensate the thinness instead of learning to fatten (resonate) the real headvoice (I know all about that one, lol). Pressing hard but not getting enough support to the note. You're more into the headvoice in Waited All Week though. The other two songs were not as strained and woofy as the one you linked to and have better passagio.

Best vocals: My Grandpa

More expert voices are welcome to correct me.

Hi Isaac... thanks for the question and welcome to TMV!

I hear, as does Matt, the weakness in your upper voice. I would like to hear more of what I call "chest voice influence" in your upper notes. You need better breath support/control to make this happen, and you need to "talk" TO someone specific to get the color right.

I would venture a bet that you are a guitar player and you have more luck when you have your guitar in your hands than when you are in the studio with your arms at your sides.

To get more master quality vocals instead of songwriter demo quality, you would do well to book some personal vocal lessons with someone. But I can offer a couple of suggestions here:

You might try standing with your back against the wall, head and heel in contact with the wall at all times. Now press your fingertips into each other about chest level and squeeze your butt when you go for those notes. Also, you need to relax your jaw. Try putting a knuckle between your molars and sing until your jaw learns to let go. I find that moving the mouth in a sort of chewing motion helps keep the jaw from locking on difficult notes.

Best of luck with your music... and I applaud your seeking to perfect your art! May none of us ever stop growing.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the higher register being weak. For never having any training you are really good. There should be a video on here about mix voice giving the illusion of having a chest voice in the higher registers. http://www.themodernvocalist.com/video/strengthening-the-mix-by

"Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like no one's watching, live like it's heaven on earth.": Mark Twain

• 3 months later...

Hi Isaac, I listened to "Only the strong survive" Great job! I thinnk you sing nice; just keep doing what your doing and "Another Angel was born"... The more practice the better. Keep on singing.

You should try and stand and sing; see if it helps with some bringing the air out for some of your higher register pieces; it seems like you shy away from pushing to far; which is great observation...

You have good dynamic control; you can sense your limitations...I would get up and be a bit more engaging now..You need to work on the whole package...walk around the room and sarinade; get a little bit more lose and show more of the showman qualities..The music is there. Practice in the mirror first!

Byron

www.myspace.com/brtempleofsound
www.vamacoustics.com