Coldplay Yellow advice please kind folk

• TMV World Legacy Member

hey just wanted some critique on this.. its just a minute long, give you an idea of what Im working with.. I dont really sing publically so I could use some objective internet feedback, what you think is strong and what you think needs most work. hows the pitch?.. thx a lot!

https://soundcloud.com/hegs12/coldplay-output-stereo-out

Good start. Tone is pretty good, technique is pretty good. The only critique I have is pitch. Listen to how you start your phrases versus how they are in the original, you're starting at lower pitches. Starting it lower would sound fine if you did it intentionally for effect on a pitch that works, but you're not doing it consistently here, it sounds like you're either not paying attention to the first pitch or your voice is having trouble finding the pitch right away. So I'd recommend listening to the original for reference and working on fixing those starting pitches. To help you out a bit, the second "look" at about 0:04 - that was the correct pitch to start with every time that melody comes up.

And overall pay more attention to pitch in general since there were a few other pitchy spots. But if you just practice more and listen closely I think they will go away. Listen closely to both yourself, record yourself and listen back, and also listen to the original version.

You're already good enough to sing in public in casual situations, for friends or whatever. People will like it, you have a nice voice. But some people are going to expect to hear better pitch than what you have now, so I'd recommend working on that. Once you get that down it will make a huge difference and at that point I think pretty much everybody will think you sound great.

Good luck and have fun singing! :)

that is great advice thx becuase i agree i do notice i have trouble hitting exact pitch straight away on the beginning notes of each phrase. What kind of exercises would you specifically recommend for improving attack on correct pitch?