Honestly, can I sing? (Birdy - Not About Angels cover)

• TMV World Legacy Member

hi, I'm new to the forum so please let me know if I did anything wrong. I feel like I should give some backround... I am a fourteen y.o girl and I have never ever thought about being a singer actually. I love music and always sing along to my radio, but considering being a singer was just always ... no :/

However, we have this school event next week and my music teacher gave me a solo (even though she kicked me out of the school choir two years ago :cool:) and of course, after nearly having a stroke I told her that I don't think I can do it. She insisted and told me I have a good voice and that I should think about it. I am sooo nervous and honestly, I think I suck. I don't wanna be "buuu" ed at :(

Here is a recording of me singing.. It's not the same song that I'm singing on the event, but it's also pretty high. I never practiced or anything so this is just out of the blue, but even though I hate to admit it, my teacher's support gave me a huge boost and I am willing to work on my singing now.

PS: I know the high notes are super off, but it's a too big of a song for me anyway. And I know I kind of went all Birdy style with all the "oohh"'s and I sound a bit retarded, but it sounded even worse when I did it my own way. And btw I did this cover without the music so.. here it is.

I would really appreciate if you gave some constructive criticism. Do I have even a little potential to sound good one day? I really like to sing...

Thank you so much.

I think you sound good. You need to project more, as it sounds like you are whispering, which causes you to live in the Falsetto mode all the time.

if you listen to how Birdy sings it, she goes in and out of full voice and falsetto for an effect (when she goes high)..

But besides that.. yeah... you do have a nice voice, and definitely have potential....

Cheers,

David.

David

Oh, thank you so much for responding. No one in my family knows about my singing so I just sing (whisper) quietly in the shelter of my room ;) I will definetely look into some singing tutorials on youtube since vocal coaching's out of the question for my situation. And yes, Birdy is amazing :cool: thanks again.