Short improv on "Can I Take You Home" (Jamie Foxx)

• TMV World Legacy Member

https://app.box.com/s/ttj6qc7p9ts25u22oumgzg1phtakli2s

Btw: would you guys call this a light mix? It's certainly lighter than how I'm used to singing. Feels very "held back"... Is this the way to go for Brian McKnight and Jamie Foxx type songs? What do you think: should I practice this sound?

Besides singing and teaching I also make beats and remixes. Check them out here: https://blend.io/sexybeast

It's definitely a plaintive tone. But it's still pretty 'solid' and has more cry and nasal than breath. Brian McKnight often has more breath in his voice. It's tricky to get a good breathy tone:

Jamie Foxx also has quite a bit of air in his tone:

Your tone sounds maybe a bit more heavy on the nasal resonance and could use more of a twang (higher tongue) instead. If you start almost from a falsetto ish head voice (think like a pure hoo), and then go in reverse by crying into that with a decent twang, its as close as I've gotten from to that kind of tone.

I'm white by the way, I think being black helps, hahaha. ;) But yeah, I'd definitely experiment with starting almost falsetto (very light tone), and then add some of those other ingredients (cry, twang, nasality, etc) if you want to sing on the softer side of RnB.

Hey KillerKu thanks for listening :)

I'm not trying to copy those guys. I just wanna know if this tone sounds good that's all ;)

But yeah, I'd definitely experiment with starting almost falsetto (very light tone), and then add some of those other ingredients (cry, twang, nasality, etc) if you want to sing on the softer side of RnB.

Never learnt to control the voice like that... This sample feels like a restrained full voice. It's a little hard to control for me since I'm used to singing full out or in a totally disconnected sound. But maybe this is more my medium than my soft volume?

Besides singing and teaching I also make beats and remixes. Check them out here: https://blend.io/sexybeast

Hey KillerKu thanks for listening :)

I'm not trying to copy those guys. I just wanna know if this tone sounds good that's all ;)

Never learnt to control the voice like that... This sample feels like a restrained full voice. It's a little hard to control for me since I'm used to singing full out or in a totally disconnected sound. But maybe this is more my medium than my soft volume?

The tone is pretty cool man.  found a similar tone first before I sound the second one. I think you're right it is going from the fuller voice and holding it back some, rather than starting with a smaller voice and building it up. 

Going in reverse is really tough especially for people like you and I that were used to full tilt configurations, but I've been finding it pretty rewarding. I'm pretty sure that's what a lot of the modern hits are doing. Although I never was interested in achieving a 'popular' kind of sound, when I listen to like this hit:

It definitely sounds like he builds onto a lighter voice. I'd really suggest trying both directions. Even if you ultimately want to sing full tilt, you could get some extra tools so you don't get trapped at full volume.

Sorry Bono I deleted it. Was not very good ;)

Why not let the audience to judge it? I think you are a great singer, love your voice and style, also the songs you pick up. If you recorded songs on a better quality I would listen and enjoy them as I do with my favorite singers ;)

Please, review and critique my latest post: Donny Hathaway - A song for you

souncloud: https://soundcloud.com/matias-azar-