Original song - "Pinhole on the Wall"

• Review My Singing Membership

Hi all!

I am new to this forum and wanted to share one of my four original songs for feedback. I have been playing the acoustic guitar for a number of years, but only started singing and songwriting a little over a year ago. I'd especially like to hear your thoughts on my tone of voice, which is something I have been unsure of. The sound quality is not great, but it should be good enough for the purpose.

Thanks in advance! 

Here's the song: 

• Administrator

Welcome Tutani,

Your Song:

- Very pretty... you have written a great song.. but it needs some work

- What is your native language? Is is English? Regardless, you should focus on trying to articulate your lyrics better. Your consonants and diphthongs need to "pop" more and be more clear, especially for a song that is sung at a relatively low pitch range as this one, where articulation is comparatively easier.

- There is a general throaty, back resonance to your approach to resonation on this recording. You need to engage the twanger more... compression on your vocal folds and guide more sound energy forward to the hard palate... what we call at TVS, "edging" vowels / resonance. 

- Sit next to a piano or guitar with your song and slow down and work on the pitch better on this. It is not really bad by any means, but not good enough. There are some pitchy moments that I can tell by listening to you, really don't have to be pitchy. You are just not paying close enough attention to it. You can't be casual about pitch. It is either on, or its off... with frequency, there is no forgiveness. So tighten that up and that will do a lot to make this sound more pro.

I invite you to pick up a copy of my vocal training program, The Four Pillars of Singing and inside that training system, you will learn about the forward resonant, "edging" vowels Im referring to and resonant placement. We can also coach this song together over skype and I can pretty much guarantee you that it will be a LOT better. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.