"All I Ask" by Adele sung by ellise

• Administrator

Hi Elise,

- Nice microphone... looks like a Blue Encore 100. Is that what it is?  good mic, try to get the encore 200 for christmas.

- I like the ambience in the room, very natural and organic sound... its great to see you sing with some amplification.. GOOD JOB in this regard.

- Lots of great interpretation and passion in this...

-  More of those nice rounded vowels and resonance we heard on the last tune... nice.

- 3:10 LOVE THAT VOWEL on "love".. great!  again at 3:13 on 'again'.. nice.

- The last 30 seconds or so was the strangers Elise...

but..

- its pitchy dear... :mellow:

... You have GOT to clean up the onsets / beginning... too much scooping ... for your level and what your shooting for, it needs to tune up.

Its pretty darn good... don't misunderstand.. it is about a A- ... you need to fix the tiny intonation issues.

Great showcase song for you! It's very difficult to teach emotion like that, and always a treat when someonne gets it naturally.

Watching the video, I think the pitchiness on the higehr notes is due to your embouchure being too relaxed. That's often the frist thing I go to when a student is a bit pitchy. The voice simply isn't getting enough support to stay lifted. If that's not the problem, then it may also be where you are "pointing" your vowels. You will feel the vowels go deeper into the soft palate as the pitch geos up, but it can help greatly to also keep them pointed into your hard palate. Try making a soft "K" sound while breathing in. The spot where that hits the roof of your mouth, right where the hard and soft palates meet, is a place you want to feel resonance on your vowels. Where Robert teaches formant tuning, I've found that it sometimes helps to separate parts of the formant for certain students. The two main araes I point out are the soft "K" or "reonant spot" and the pressure of the soft palate raising. Both are resonance and shaping the reonsnance chamber, but sometimes it can help to separate them in your mind. The way I describe doing it is all about keeping the voice lifted and out of the throat. Then formant tuning becomes a way to think about moving the pressure around and make singing more effortless or relaxed.

• Administrator
On 12/21/2016 at 0:58 PM, Draven Grey said:

That's often the frist thing I go to when a student is a bit pitchy. The voice simply isn't getting enough support to stay lifted.

Me too. First thing to check is a collapsed embouchure.

On 12/21/2016 at 0:58 PM, Draven Grey said:

formant tuning becomes a way to think about moving the pressure around and make singing more effortless or relaxed.

Absolutely, hence you have someone that can teach it to you and learn to feel it and master it. Nothing anyone can do about the physics of sound and singing. Either you get it and sing SO MUCH better with SO MUCH more understanding of what is going on, or you don't, because you don't. Great point... and so often, will always be a valid point in any discussion we have here at this forum. 

Thanks for your help Draven.