Modern Figure - Strangers (Indie/Shoegaze)

• Review My Singing Membership

Hi!

Here's another song, my most recent that I wrote a couple of days ago.

Same vocal concerns that I posted in my previous recent thread for the song: (All The Good Things) that post explains in more detail my concerns and everything, basically just concerned about the vocals because I'm a new singer and a new songwriter. Any thoughts / tips / criticism / advice / or anything you'd like to add would be highly appreciated!

The song gets a bit repetitive after the bridge, I wrote the song in about 3-4 hours and just got lazy and impatient. Definitely going to change the bridge to add variety/dynamics.

• Administrator

Shoe, Welcome to The Modern Vocalist World! It is great to have you here.

Your Review:

- It has a sort of "The Cure" vibe to it?

- :51... cool vocal fry... appropriate for the "feel".

- I like your song... its a bit "Gothic" isn't it? Cool, I like Gothic vibes.

- There is almost exclusive vocal fry in this... are you aware of that? If you are not, it would be a good idea to better understand what your doing here.

- At 4:00... coming out of this bridge... I recommend that you pop up to F#4... an octave higher and sing the same 'droning" idea, but an octave higher, if you could get a sort of ghoulish scream it would be super cool!  Try it.

- You could do more with this shoe... you could have some real, full voice that isn't vocal fry. You could scream the last verse an octave higher as suggested above. ... Evenghough, given the gothic style this is, doing only vocal fry still works.

- Turn up the vocals, they are a bit too buried... just a touch.

Get with me on a lesson and I'll show you how to work with this and make it more cool. We'll do it on skype if you like. Here is a discounted deal.

http://bit.ly/IntroductionPrivateLesson70

Hope this helps.

Hi Robert, thank you for the review and the welcome!

I have no idea what a vocal fry is, i'll look into this.

Had no idea about the gothic vibe, that's odd i'm about the most hipster guy you'd ever wanna meet, typical dirty Echo Park hipster with blue hair. Definitely have never listened to goth before! Interesting.

I'll play around with some vocal stuff where you suggested and will check out the lesson package you provided. I am a bit poor as of right now, living that starving artist's life but I'll see what I can do!

• Administrator

Ok!

This may not be the best example, but you have heard of The Cure haven't you? If not, check them out.

Also a fantastic example of what singing with great gobs of SOB / Cry mode sounds like... similar to vocal fry Shoe... it is a tilt of the cricoid cartilage in the larynx and it makes a singer sound a bit "weepy"... great stuff. Everyone uses it, Robert Smith from The Cure just happens to use it a lot.... :z-coffee:

... Your tune kinda has this vibe to it in my opinion... which is a good thing. I love The Cure... 

Nice band! I've heard of them but never listened to them, way before my time :3 I live in a musical bubble, mostly listen to underground indie shoegaze and lo-fi music.

I'm a little worried now about the gothic vibe lol this band DIIV is my favorite band of all time and is basically the band that inspired me to start writing music last year and start a band, I've seen them live countless times and thought (hoping) to attract the same crowd.