Highest Register break/head voice

• TMV World Member

Hey guys, how's everybody doing?  This is my first post and It's cause I'm at a point in my singing where I've mastered lots of techniques such as mixed voice, distortion and timbre.  Still need to work on distortion on the higher notes and improving my vibrato but first I want to extend my range by about 1 or 2 notes because it would help with the music I want to sing.  I'm trying to sing the songs Nine in the Afternoon- Panic at the Disco!,  Somebody Told Me and Mr. Brightside by The Killers.  I can sing these songs well and with good tone that I enjoy but the highest notes sound a bit strained except for every now and then when I can intuitively feel proper technique.  I mostly feel the resonance in the back of my throat or mouth but when I hit those high notes properly I feel the vibration in my sinuses but replicating that consistently is difficult.  Anybody have tips for how to hit the peak of their range or extend their range.  I'll post some recordings tomorrow as it's too late for singing where I'm staying.

• TMV World Legacy Member

The reason it is inconsistent is because those songs hover around d4 to a4. brightside if you play starting on D major. Sings d4 the whole verse then goes up to some f# and g's so if you sing constantly on d4 you could get very tired by the time you go up to f# you are gonna feel you have to push. This is where perfect practice (vowels, breath etc) is gonna be really important. Knowing exactly how to approach. If you just keep blindly throwing yourself at it it's gonna be a long hard road. Basically think of it like you are lifting a moderate heavy weight but a ton of times. It's gonna get tiring. 

PLEASE CONTACT DANIEL@YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER@GMAIL.COM
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM
WWW.DANIELFORMICAVOCALSTUDIO.COM
www.soundcloud.com/daniel-formicahttps://www.youtube.com/user/danformica
Disclaimer-Anything I write or try to help people with on here are techniques and things that have worked for ME. They are not necessarily" right" or "wrong" but have worked for ME and my 20+ yrs as a professional working
singer.
Thank you

• TMV World Member

Okay so I should try adding more twang and taking a breath somewhere before "I just can't look it's killing me" "the price I pay" and "Eager eyes" in regards to my brightside.  I've never really had proper training on how to narrow and widen vowels I just worked it out over a long period of time by playing around with twang.  So is it true the higher you go you want to widen the vowel and it will naturally sound more narrow? As in instead of singing me I'd sing may?

• TMV World Member
30 minutes ago, Danielformica said:

The reason it is inconsistent is because those songs hover around d4 to a4. brightside if you play starting on D major. Sings d4 the whole verse then goes up to some f# and g's so if you sing constantly on d4 you could get very tired by the time you go up to f# you are gonna feel you have to push. This is where perfect practice (vowels, breath etc) is gonna be really important. Knowing exactly how to approach. If you just keep blindly throwing yourself at it it's gonna be a long hard road. Basically think of it like you are lifting a moderate heavy weight but a ton of times. It's gonna get tiring. 

Also I checked out some of your recordings your tone is like Steve Tyler meets Dashboard Confessional, good take on free falling and Tenessee Waltz is an awesome recording too.

• TMV World Legacy Member
56 minutes ago, Collin571 said:

So is it true the higher you go you want to widen the vowel and it will naturally sound more narrow? As in instead of singing me I'd sing may?

it depends on where you are range wise and if its a heavy mix or a lighter sound. don't just add twang, really work on the vowels they will add the twang if you are using them correctly

PLEASE CONTACT DANIEL@YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER@GMAIL.COM
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM
WWW.DANIELFORMICAVOCALSTUDIO.COM
www.soundcloud.com/daniel-formicahttps://www.youtube.com/user/danformica
Disclaimer-Anything I write or try to help people with on here are techniques and things that have worked for ME. They are not necessarily" right" or "wrong" but have worked for ME and my 20+ yrs as a professional working
singer.
Thank you

• TMV World Member

Here are two recordings I did this morning before work with a bit of a froggy voice,  It's not mr.brightside high but it's The killers and I'd appreciate any input on my mixed voice and tonality.  I  got a few of the words wrong but it's just practice.