Beginner practicing onsets

• TMV World Legacy Member

First off, let me say I wasn't sure where to post this (here or vocal technique) because although it's a sound clip, I'm not covering a song or anything.

Ok, so I've been using the "Four Pillars 2.0" system for a week or two. I'm not a complete beginner, because I used a very popular program which I will not name here for a few months (just think of the BIG program), but I decided to look more into CVI-style techniques because I read how the other program was more geared towards soft R&B/country styled singing, and I'm more into rockish kind of singing.

Anyways, i was practicing what are known as onsets in the "Four Pillars" program, and practicing them through my passagio into my head voice. I have no problem finding, or even seamlessly transitioning from chest to high in the style of the previous program/SLS, but I'm having a little trouble using the proper technique in "Four Pillars."

I have a deeper/baritonish voice and can sing the whole way down to around D2 no problem with no fry, but I can also go up to a G4 in chest voice "belting" (but no forced pushing/hurtful technique). I reread the "Four Pillars" ebook and read how it's recommended to switch to head voice as soon/low as possible in general, which I believe for me is around an E4.

Basically in my sound clip I'm practicing onsets through my passagio, and I was just wondering if someone could tell me if my "head voice" onsets are head voice or falsetto (I can't always tell using the non SLS technique). The quality of the audio isn't the best, and I'm sorry that I didn't say when I was singing in chest or head, but I think it's quite obvious when I'm singing in chest or not. If someone wants me to record again while saying if I'm singing in chest or "head" I'll record again.

Thanks to whoever listens!

Here's the link to the audio file: http://soundcloud.com/jordan-oates/audio3

Can't access your sound clip . Too many adds also. Try soundclick or soundcloud. As far as when to be in chest or head, I bridge at E4. It is still pretty weak for me, but it's getting stronger. I've had pillars since February and love it.

www.drop-head.com

Can't access your sound clip . Too many adds also. Try soundclick or soundcloud. As far as when to be in chest or head, I bridge at E4. It is still pretty weak for me, but it's getting stronger. I've had pillars since February and love it.

I uploaded it on soundcloud, check the original post to find the link.

The head onsets sound connected to me, but your onset is a little shaky sometimes (waivers on and off pitch) Make sure you hear the sound in your head and support while doing these onsets.

www.drop-head.com

The head onsets sound connected to me, but your onset is a little shaky sometimes (waivers on and off pitch) Make sure you hear the sound in your head and support while doing these onsets.

Is that for the heady onsets that I waver? I'm pretty sure I waver quite a bit when I'm high-chesting the onsets, but that's to be expected. I also have a tendency to put vibrato on pretty much any note I hold also...

I guess my point was to be solid on the tone before you release the onset . I do the vibrato thing also. I think I hold the onsets for around 3 seconds when I am drilling specific notes, especially those pesky passagio notes . I still don't have that "hooty" tone in my head voice, but you do . So you must be doing something right :)

www.drop-head.com

I guess my point was to be solid on the tone before you release the onset . I do the vibrato thing also. I think I hold the onsets for around 3 seconds when I am drilling specific notes, especially those pesky passagio notes . I still don't have that "hooty" tone in my head voice, but you do . So you must be doing something right :)

lo thanks. One thing I learned doing the old program, but might still help you find your head voice and make it very "clean", is just imitate a siren. Though my friends like to joke I'm a Geoff Tate clone, so I just might naturally have a very clean tone

Archived