Song of mine

• TMV World Legacy Member

So I'm in quite a pickle here. I love music more than anything I've got going on for me. Singing and writing have been the one thing I've always been willing to sacrifice things for even if it might be unreasonable or stupid at the time. I play many instruments to aid my writing I suppose but singing is what means the most to me and I happen to have a really rough voice. I've been seriously working on my voice everyday for the past four years taking lessons with several talented teachers as well as singing in school with chorus and acapella but I feel like I haven't gotten anywhere. I feel incredibly restricted when it comes to voice. I believe that I have a very little range which apparently excludes me from baritone, bass, and tenor ranges. I am unable to notice any immediate pleasant qualities to my voice and I can't remember a single moment in those four years when I was legitimately proud of myself. I really don't want to be a broken despairing record here but this is something that means the world to me and I would never be able to give it up so the only thing left to do is fix it. I have sung for many of my peers and the result was either they weren't impressed or the gave off the motherly pin it on the fridge I'm so proud of you reaction that only makes me feel worse. So if there's anything any one of you on here has to say I'm all ears. Thanks for listening.

http://www.4shared.com/audio/jUcxZThu/01_Track_01.html

Well, that was nowhere near as bad as you made it out to be.

I highly doubt you have not progressed at all in the four years you've been singing. It may seem that way because your progress has likely been gradual. Record yourself often as a way to keep track.

The best thing you could do right now above all else is believe in yourself. Singing just doesn't go over well without confidence and conviction.

Don't worry about your critics. You'll often find they don't possess the guts to do what you're doing.

You said this means the world to you. Prove it by pressing forward.

I've never been skydiving, but I've zoomed in on Google Earth really, really fast.

Oh, and if you want something to be proud of, be proud of the fact that you've stuck with this for four years, and not thrown in the towel. Unlike many who do when they don't morph into their favorite vocal hero overnight.

Deep down you probably already knew everything I've said, but just needed to hear it from someone objective.

I've never been skydiving, but I've zoomed in on Google Earth really, really fast.

I don't know who you have been talking to but they are wrong. And, hold on to your hat, you are wrong. You are lyrical (light tenor.) In fact, don't worry so much about your low notes. Accept the fact that you are a tenor. That will be the hardest thing for you to do. Harder than any exercise or scale or "technique." Changing your mind is like trying to move a mountain. You have a voice as strong and as smooth as George Michaels. Who is what your timbre reminded me of on this song. And you would have high salutes from notable singers for having such a voice. I can't wait for you to make three guesses as to who is one of the biggest fans of George Michaels. That person is the one and only Axl Rose, who has never made a secret of admiring Michaels' voice and and performances.

Now, instead of worrying about voice placement or fach, in a classical sense, I want you to remember that your voice is not in your throat. It is in your head, literally and figuratively. The mind thinks, the body follows. And, all resonance is in the head. The note always lives above the soft palate.

The challenge is now up to you. And the hardest part is accepting what I have just wriitten. Good luck and may the force be with you, always.

I can't wait for you to make three guesses as to who is one of the biggest fans of George Michaels. That person is the one and only Axl Rose, who has never made a secret of admiring Michaels' voice and and performances.

I never knew that about Axl. Interesting.

Coincidentally, George Michael is my second favorite male singer behind Steve Perry. My rock and metal cronies have always given me crap for liking him, but oh well.

It's funny that you should mention that about me being a tenor. I've always thought that was the most desirable voice for me but everyone tells me I don't have the voice to be a tenor. What exactly do you mean by thinking of the voice being in the head? I've heard that before from people that I get throaty at times but I don't really know what to do about it.

Find a book at Amazon called "Whatever happened to great singing?"

The note resonates in the head, regardless of range. Whoever told you that are not a tenor is flat wrong. Not only do they not have an ear for range or good tone, but they obviously don't know a tenor standing right in front of them. And you can tell them that, Ron, from Texas said that. And if they care to fly to DFW international airport, I would be more than happy to tell them that to their face or faces. Quit listening to them, they are wrong, wrong, wrong. In other words, they are wrong. Let me put it this way ... they are wrong. Did I mention that they are wrong? I just wanted to make sure that you know that they are wrong. As in, mistaken. As in, probably not knowing what they are talking about.

And that's the "nice" version.

Your resonance is in the head, forever and always. Anything else leads to the throat and ruination. Just as simple as that. That is why I said the hardest thing for you to do is change your mind. And that is more difficult than anything and I was not being rhetorical or corny or trying to sound "mystical." It's a cold, hard fact.

By the way, I am really good at standing up to bullies and I cannot abide allowing these idiots trying to squash your voice.

Archived