My first big milestone

• TMV World Legacy Member

When I first started singing, I moved my break from D/Eb4 to G4 quite easily, but didn't know how to go any further. Getting beyond that point seemed impossible. I tried exercising, but if I could ever manage an A4, it was forced and very quiet. Once in a blue moon, I'm talking every few months maybe, I could hit notes in that range and it wouldn't hurt.

Now, lately I've been doing support exercises, working on reducing my airflow with the 'ssss'. A couple of weeks ago I was at ~30 seconds, now I'm up to 45. Suddenly, those "blue moon" days have started occurring more frequently. This is the third day this week I've been able to hit A4 (several times, at that) and it didn't hurt. I took the opportunity to record a song I could never sing before.

I'm extremely happy with the result! Please let me know what you think. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgblnEc6_Ls

Edit: Here's the original if you want to compare -

* Changed the link to one that should be available for all countries *

I'm not a teacher. Please take my posts as mere suggestions.

Hey all,

I'm sorry to nag, but if you have any feedback for me at all, whether it's good, bad or something minor, I'd love to hear it! I need to know if I'm on the right track here. Also, if you have tips for how to make the A4+ range easier to access, I will love you forever. ;)

I couldn't hear the original (the one time I thought I might listen to it). It says it's not available in my country (USA.)

You're soft and light in the low range, which is good. And you start the higher notes with good breath support and then back off, probably because you are trying to control your breath too much. Let the note drive you. See the note in your mind, sing it, and let the image of the note drive what you are doing. That is, you don't drive the note with breath support. Breath support changes to how your mind is driving the note. And your mind drives the note by the volume that you hear.

Cool song, by the way, and I think it suits your voice.

Thanks Ron. :)

I updated the link in the first post.

About the support... I back off when it isn't needed, to conserve support for the highest notes. It does sacrifice some control, but I find this is necessary to hit notes above G4 safely. I tried to mentally drive the note just now, but the A4 became a lot harder and broke occasionally (using less support?).

Perhaps this has something to do with my physical condition? My lower body strength is, erm... slightly sub-par, but I am working on that. :P

Did you notice I laid off the support vibrato here? It slipped out on a few notes... bad habit, but for the most part it was gone. I took the time to set-up for proper vibrato a few times, on the longer notes. It takes a while to get going, but again, that will probably improve with practise.

Thanks again for your advice. :)

Archived