I need your help! - Technique fallen apart

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi all. I've been sick for a few months, so haven't been on the forums. But I'm trying to make a come back now. Before I got sick (an endless onslaught of colds and flu), my technique was going ahead in leaps and bounds. I had power, and control and more range than ever before. I still have power. But only in "belt". I've attached an example of the problems I'm having - it's not pretty, but I need the feedback. I'm finding my softer voice (neutral?) gets quite weak around the bridge. So trying to sing a strong C5 in neutral (I don't want a belty sound on the note) has become impossible. At first there was a lot of constriction. I've used better support and excercises to reduce contriction, but now I'm finding the note is very raw and unstable. Also, after singing, I feel like I have been coughing - you know that sort of raw feeling in your throat. Having difficulty keeping placement in the mask. I could sing this song beautifully before I got sick, and I can belt a full tone above this badly failed C5 without any issue at all. Please help me. I have a jazz festival coming up in August which will be something of a debut for me in the real world of jazz and of course I really want my voice to be working at it's best.

Thanks

S

http://www.box.net/shared/5i6pecd4isyy4djnui4j

I don't get it. What's the problem? I hear didn't hear any. Please, please, oh, please don't get offended. But have you considered consulting a therapist or psychologist to help you get over this self-hatred of yours? Seriously, I think the problems you are hearing are in your mind, so to speak. That's probably going to come across the wrong way and I can't help. Just like I can't help telling the truth and saying that your singing was fine, great even.

Maybe I am the one who needs a shrink for I cannot share with you your delusion that something is wrong with your voice.

Hi ronws,

Don't worry, I'm not offended by your suggestion. I actually have a very healthy self esteem, and an excellent ear. There is a considerable pitch wobble on the last C5. And it doesn't feel good. I don't hate my voice. It's just not as good as it should be. I don't have the control I used to have on quiter, higher notes. They feel unstable and raw and the voice doesn't feel good afterwards. My teacher can hear the problems and feels it could quite possibly by psychology causing the lack of control - after being sick for quite a while it may take a while for my confidence in my voice to return, that's what she thought. She also thought I had lost the ability to thin the chords for those notes - which I was very good at. Lost the excellent balance that I had a few months ago (ie the ability to place my voice anywhere within my then two and a half octave range with the power I wanted. I've come here because some of the things that helped me to get to the great point I was at came from this forum. Particularly from Bob. That's why I'm not just leaving it to my teacher to fix it - she wasn't the only thing that got me to where I was. And where I was was very excellent and I was very proud of. Thanks for your input. I am a high achiever and like to be thoroughly excellent - which is not where this voice is in this clip. Had a bit of a breakthrough last night though and will post another clip when I can gtet a chance to record it. Self hatred is not it - I know I have an excellent voice but that something is stoping me from using it ot the best of my ability - and that may be psychology. Psych is a big part of singing.

S

Archived