Perfect by Pink

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey guys.

Please be gentle. I recorded this using a 2 year old camcorder's mic. Then the same old camcorder for the video track.

I did have a lot of fun recording on the top of a 120 year old Opera House in 100 degree weather (not whining). Thank goodness the wind was blowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKRAEvwlrEo

Elena

www.elenahouseonline.com

Just a few things for you:

You tend get into your nose too much at a some points. Allow the placement to move forward but don't push it up there. Keeping your jaw low and the back of your tongue down will do that for you. Also don't open your mouth quite so wide horizontally. One of the worst pieces of advice I think I've heard someone give a singer is to smile while they sing.

Also, try to avoid glottal/throat stops altogether and think about letting go of the air when you want a note to stop. 'Stop it in your diaphragm' is what my teachers tell me. Don't choke it. For example, on 'Dug my way out' and 'ever ever feel,' you choke the new vowels when the sound doesn't have to even stop at all there. It could all flow together and it would sound just fine. Just don't use your throat to articulate notes. It's not sincere sounding or natural to begin with. Unless you're Britney Spears but thankfully there's only one of her.

You're flat on the high D at 2:38, but I'm sure you have that in you. Just drop your jaw a bit. Make it less of a 'yeh' and more of a 'yah.' You could also think of aiming higher for it. Imagine 'tossing' the note or bouncing it off the roof of your mouth if that helps. I know saying things like that doesn't really mean anything for everybody. For me it helps to think about if I'm having trouble. Maybe it'll help you too but idk. Don't psyche yourself out or try to push it. Just kind of let it come out.

All of those are pretty minor adjustments that I think will go a long way. Think about them while your practicing until you don't need to think. It will feel normal.

I like your dynamics and you have a filled in, rich sound. If you bring your jaw down and open your mouth less horizontally and more vertically it will help you capitalize on that. I also dig the vibrato.

Nice job. Good video performance. I applaud you for putting the video together in such a nice way.

The only thing I would say is those B4's in the chorus were a little flat like you were having trouble staying relaxed in chest voice up there - like it is near the top of your chest voice range. It seems that you should start letting the CT muscle tilt the thyroid at that point just a little, and modify the vowels in that range. Others would call that the "middle voice". If you developed this you could carry up that chesty sound way beyond the B4.

Archived