I will rise by Chris Tomlin

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey Everyone,

I'm new here . I sing approximately 2 years. I'd like to know some honest critique about my singing and if possible about my accent. English is not my first language.

http://www.box.com/s/imjbet2obvhks8ozuzpm

Thanks

paperboy

The accent isn't really too bad. I might not even notice to tell you the truth, if you didn't mention it. You have a surprising amount of clarity in diction and tone. The only immediate suggestions I have is perhaps tightening up the agility in pitch jumps just a bit further with further scale exercises, and consider experimenting with adding a lower resonance to the voice by opening the throat a bit more.

One way I've heard this described, is like there is a little 'egg' sized opening in the back of your throat, comfortably open and free. If you try this, make sure it is completely comfortable, if it is not, abandon it immediately, but when I focused on this sensation, I could get kind of a 'buffer' voice.

Other than that, I think for a two year singer you have quite a bit of polish, and for further improvement I'd suggest real lessons from qualified professionals. You may or may not be able to continue improving on your own, but there is an element of risk involved where people have to 'change' what they are doing for more range/power, etc, so it might depend on what exactly your goals are too.

Maybe let us know more so what your goals are, and there might be better suggestions as to how you should achieve them.

Hey KillerKu,

thanks for your honest stuff. But I wanna improve my accent. What do you think has to change? What do you mean with for two years I gotta quite polish.... Am I way behind my schedule:D

Real lesson would be really good, the problem is always this stupid mo...

I have actually some other stuff which is a little bit higher.....

My goal is actually just to get better as much as possible.....

I mean, for having sung for two years, without a world class teacher, this is quite good in polish, particularly in sounding not that 'pushed' in chest voice, etc.

As far as the accent, I've tried to take another few, but I'm not an accent expert. I'm American and even I use funny English sometimes. I have a feeling you will need someone with more expertise than I to really nail the accent as the vowel choices you use, have an impact not just on tonality but also in singability as you ascend in pitch.

Part of my suggestion of opening up a bit in the throat, was because there is kind of a thin quality to the vowels in your singing, it sounds kind of 'closed' to me. I have a Malaysian friend who is learning to sing, and when I got her to open up a bit, it made her sound a bit more American, as her native tongue is quite closed and thin.

I agree you should strive to improve as much as possible, all I'll advise is you take this path slowly. I know teachers can be quite expensive, but the alternative, the price of ignorance, can be higher, as in my case, a voice problem that may have been avoided with the right teacher.

Ah okay now I get it. The reason why I ask is someone told me I have to work on my accent. Especially for this song a Mid Western Accent

Do you know Teacher in Germany??

How expensive is actually a world class teacher?

"Part of my suggestion of opening up a bit in the throat, was because there is kind of a thin quality to the vowels in your singing, it sounds kind of 'closed' to me. I have a Malaysian friend who is learning to sing, and when I got her to open up a bit, it made her sound a bit more American, as her native tongue is quite closed and thin"

Yeah is a good tip, I will pay more attention on that...

Thanks man. I really appreciate it.... Is it a europe accent or which region what'd you think I come from? I mean you know I'm based in germany but if you wouldn't know...

Archived