Attempting to sing My Land, By Sonata Arctica

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hello there!

I have been lurking a lot on this forum and found myself improving by reading your comments and listening to your covers.

I currently attempt to sing this song, My Land, by Sonata Arctica, to get used to singing through the passagio and developping a continuous stream from chest to head voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQIMGr3Jejc

Thanks for the reply Daug!

I must say that I find my singing not enough thick and chesty, especially on the higher notes. I don't know how I am going to put more chest though.

Shall I work on resonance and wovel modification or gradually thicken the vocal folds while supporting more?

Yep. The vowels and support is the key. You've got very nice transition. Some achieve a full tone by strengthening the head voice (like using some exercises neyneyney momom - and these kind of thing's) But I recomand you to try with widen up the full voice by using first some octave slides/sirens on EH or OH vowels.

It is very hard to sing so high with text on Eh and Oh vowels but if you catch them on slides and sirens you should be able to find curbing/mix by changing the vowels to I (like in "sit") or Uh or O (like in "woman") and reducing the volume. Very important thing is to keep vowels in same place, regardless of whether you go up or down. And of course - work with support and twang.

Regards!

OMERTAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Archived