Unchained Melody and a Few Others

• TMV World Legacy Member

Long time, no see, Killer.

I'm glad you've finally got some relief. And I liked your submissions.

"Unchained Melody" -up high, your voice reminded me of Aaron Neville with that tight vibrato. Although for some it might have been a tremolo, which is a different thing.

"Ole Man River" - It's below your range and I am going to disagree with you, right here, right now, so hold onto yourself, 'ight? You are not a baritone. You don't have the ring down there. And pulling the dopey sound didn't give it boom. It sounded like me wanting to sing the role of Caiaphas and not making it. You are quite a bit above a true baritone bottoming out, even if it felt baritonic to you, it's not what it sounded like. You did a good job, it's just not baritonic.

"Just ask the Lonely" & "The Sweetest Feeling" - these are in the sweet spot of your voice. Plus, you've got a natural phrasing that fits in with torch songs and R & B. I'd say, stick with that. Do that stuff some more.

And welcome back to the forum. And never give up, even if you have to sing it verse by verse. You have a good voice worth hearing.

I don't know anything of your story, nor how you may have sung before your problems so I have no home base for which to compare your progress. All I can say is I'm happy you are coming along and seemingly getting better. It's good to hear that you are singing. Don't push it. baby steps. I think Unchained Melody may have been a stretch. I don't know if I would choose to sing that coming off an injury or with a vocal issue. And it sounded tight, like it hurt. Go easy man. :)

Thanks Ronws. You may be right about my voice type. I feel like a lyric baritone personally in vocal weight with expanded range on each side.

Feel strongest between G#2 and G#4 in a fuller voice, though can take it higher/lower. Ol Man River was a bass song (Temptations cover, Melvin Franklin did it) and I went down to F#2.

I agree I shouldn't give up. But I'm trying to deal with the drugs are addicting and tolerance forming. They are a problem in itself. I can't sing without them, but I want to continually ween off them. No singing for the time being.

@Tommy, actually I think Unchained Melody was one of the more comfortable songs I've sung in years. Speaking is more painful than singing in this style. I get the most pain from hmmm... Singing more in a 'pop' or speech style singing where the throat is more closed and the larynx is closer to the spastic area. When I use a more yawned or open throat approach it helps. Sorry you didn't like it but it's about the least painful noise I've been able to get.