A Castle on a Cloud - a beginner needs your comments :)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hello!

Here is a recording of me singing "A Castle on a Cloud" from Les Misérables. I never took singing lessons (but I sing in a choir) and I would like to hear feedback. Also, English isn't my first language, and I would be very pleased if you told me pronunciation mistakes that you could hear :)

https://soundcloud.com/anothersomeone/a-castle-on-a-cloud-29-d

Thank you for your comments :D

EDIT:

Here is Fantine's Death. I record it this morning. Maybe it will give you more material to judge :P

https://soundcloud.com/anothersomeone/fantines-death-31-d-cembre

Thank you by advance for your comments :)

excellent pitch. Definitely a choir sound. Your voice blends, probably very well with others. Fantine had more emotion, at least to start, than a Castle on a Cloud, where you were completely in a choir mindset. So, it depends on what you want to do. If you plan to sing a lead part, you will probably want a little more intensity. Both songs are sung so softly.

If you are going to do theater, your theater director or music director for the program is going to have even better insight than you might get, here. That is, I think you sing well. A coach, however, would direct you to a style or genre.

If you want to sing opera, you will need a coach. You can already sing, obviously. You have to have an opera coach because that is the way that opera is done. And an opera coach is going to groom you toward certain roles for which your voice is suited. Some might say that any voice can be trained to sing any role. And to some extent, that might be true but should it be done? That is where I would differ. Some say Marie Callais wore herself out singing to many varied roles outside of her initial fach. They might have a point.

So, I guess the question is, what do you think you need help with? You already have a voice good enough, I imagine, to audition for most university programs that would require an audition.

Thank you for your answer :)

Actually, I never imagined that someone could tell me this kind of comment ^^ (That I a had a "good" voice). And I agree on the fact that I need to be more involved by the song, and try to abandon the choir mindset. (At least, when I don't sing in it.)

I feel that I need a singing training, though, because I think I would gain in confidence, be able to project my voice more than I do now, and see what I can do, and what I can't. (And train to improve :))

Well, that is a good answer, Mademoiselle. Personally, I think it's more about projection, too, and less blending. I still think you could get that kind of coaching locally. Though there is also a french contingent of the 4 Pillars program, if that suits you. One thing that might put more of a front edge to your voice, so to speak, is a bit more twang, which helps resonate certain frequencies. The training sound for that is either a duck quack or a witch's cackle. slightly dropped jaw, not to much, to start, and a slightly wide mouth or smile. Right now, I bet, you are singing either with a rounded mouth or a closed one (cuperto.)