Cover of Colorblind by Counting Crows

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi, I was wondering if I could get some constructive criticism on my cover of Colorblind. I used an instrumental track and did a lead vocal and bass vocal. Please let me know what you think of my voice and what I can improve on, I've been training for a year now but not with a teacher. Just books and the internet. So I lack that kind of correction. Thanks :D

http://soundcloud.com/eugene-shankar/colorblind-cover

I am a run of the mill baritone, (F#)A#-D(F#)

Even if you really don't like it, feel free to tell me what you don't like.

Well I love the original, so I had a listen (meaning you're now in trouble being compared to Adam Duritz).

To me you're mostly on pitch and on time, so you can sing. The big question for me is what you want to sound like? You do some very hard attacks on consonants and some very drawn out dipthongs (kind of like CH'olorblAAAH-EEE-EHnd). Are those sounds naturally occuring in your voice or an artistic choice?

Personally I prefer a rounder versions of consonants and vowels, so if you're thinking along those lines, work on your diction. If you like your current style then stick with it and make that art.

The mix with multiple layers sounds freaky because of the timing differences, but it's good fun, so don't worry about that (unless you're going for pretty - then work on getting the tracks better aligned in terms of phrasing first and getting the mix balance just right afterwards).

If you want more power and ring (even at the same volumen) I can only recommend working on support and twang and that's been described in detail by more knowledgable and paedagogical forum members in many a thread about singing high with power/ease.

Thank you, that is what I was looking for, I knew something was wrong with my sound but I didn't know what to call it, so I couldn't look it up. You're the best.

Oh and yeah those are just how I talk, I've always had kind of a gnaaaack uggggh uhhh kind of voice. I've been intensifying those sounds because I listen to Neutral Milk Hotel and punk in general, but I'd really rather sound pretty.

I learned some of that by singing along with bowed strings. They have softs attacks on the notes (which becomes consonants) volume swells (with can increase voice control) and melodies become very smooth/legato.

Keep recording yourself as you experiment with consonants and vowels. It's the sound outside of your head you're trying to improve. Maybe do themed recordings of a song for comparison. Decide that for a particular recording you'll want every vowel to sound just a little bit like EE or some other vowel. Sing it, record it and play it back. If anything sounds good make a note of that (what was the original vowel, it at high note or low note). Otherwise just delete the recording before anyone hears it and try the next vowel shading when you feel ready.