Two Sleepy People Jazz Cover (Comments please?)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi,

I just did my first jazz cover and was wondering if i could get some comments.

I'm completely untrained, but some critique would be useful to improve myself (:

Voice track recorded with an iphone, so excuse the lack of quality.

Thank you in advance!

I liked the performance and I even like the husky tone of your voice. And I would never have thought an iphone would capture voice that well.

Anyway, I noticed some wavering between low and high. Like low is your chest voice and high is your head voice and when you go high, you are aiming and get there, just a little unsteady. Instead, think of being in head from the beginning but let the chest in for the low parts. Then, still in head, you are already centered for that funny break.

And that's just a suggestion, only, to get rid of that slight hesitation I thought I heard.

Thank you for your feedback ronws and i'm relieved you liked it (: I listened to myself again and I definitely understand what you mean, also the slight quiver when trying to sustain some higher notes. Thank youuu! I'll work on anticipating the higher notes too!

And with the iphone, i was surprised as well, I usually record a bit here and there with my zoomQ3 but I left it in Sydney. Decided to give the iphone a go and it came out better than expected. I did put it in garageband to fit the backing, but didn't actually do anything to it at all, unless garageband modifies it automatically?

And you don't have to anticipate high notes. Just live there, in the high notes. It' a perspective. For example, don't think of high notes as something to reach up for. Think of them like high notes on the piano. You don't reach for high notes on a piano. You just change perspective (move the arm, so to speak.).

Nice to have another person from Down Under. We haven't had many, as late. And a few of my favorite bands and entertainers are from there. Olivia Newton-John. AC/DC (though the original members were from Scotland and emigrated there,) Billy Thorpe, and of course, Men at Work.

And Midnight Oil. I understand that the giant of a singer went into politics, to become a minister of environment, I think.