Impromptu jam of Stand by Me.

• TMV World Legacy Member

So, a little backstory...

The bassist I do everything with and one of his buddies invited me to come see the new studio that our sound engineer built by hand. He did a little bass jam, then asked if I wanted to cover anything "just for fun." He suggested Stand by Me, started playing the bassline, then his friend picked up a guitar and jammed along. It sounded good, so I jumped in and we decided to do the whole thing to christen the new microphone setup in the studio.

This was decided and recorded in the space of 15 minutes, sitting around 2 microphones. A little leveling done after the recording completed, but it's completely live and this is the ONLY time we played it tonight. I'm proud of the chemistry we have as a little group and we've decided to form a band.

Important note, bassist is only 18 years old.

"If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!"

Astounding live cut. I liked it. You were pitchy around the first chorus and usually, I am bad about that, myself. I go back and listen to old recordings and cringe. I keep them so that I can keep my cringe reflex going.

Then you found your groove, the melody line you wanted to pursue and it solidified and sounded great. Here's something I have learned and it has help me, at least as the perspective of where I need to be. The singer should actually sing in reference to the bass guitar. Yeah, it's the bottom end and thumping the rhythm. But it is also an instrument of harmony. So, don't sing to the guitar or wait on the guitar. Pitch yourself in reference to the bass guitar.

Man, I wished I could have been there because I could have ruined the end of the take by applauding and doing my cattle call whistle.

Thanks, Ron. You always have the best "constructive" criticism. Yeah, there were some low points you points that you pointed out, but always counter with something you liked. It definitely helps.

I know I was really pitchy, but it's the first time I've EVER sung that song other than one chorus here and there under my breath when I hear it. I literally pulled up the lyrics on my phone 2 minutes before we started and improvised the tune because I didn't remember the melody.

Not to mention the guitarist and bassist decided to play the song for about 2 minutes longer than the song usually runs. I thought it would turn out rough, but I loved how it is. Even imperfect.

"If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!"