Once upon a December

• TMV World Legacy Member

A year ago, I sang once upon a december with my friend and I haven't really sang since because it's clear my voice is everywhere and I don't know what I'm doing.

https://soundcloud.com/lcarriejo/once-upon-a-december-ft-adina

I'm the lower voice. She knows what she's doing I guess. You'll notice the difference.

Also,

this one I tried earlier today:

https://soundcloud.com/elmvine/im-just-your-problem-marcelene/s-FWY0t

(Bad recording quality)

Any tips?

I liked the duet better because it was less nasal. The a capella in the second cut, it was good and I realize that modern r&b is a very nasal style, much like early country was.

So, for me, it's a preference of less through-the-nose nasal in the sound. So, I don't listen to a lot of modern r&b. Truth be known, probably my fave r&b "Rich Girl" by Hall and Oates.

On the up side, really good interpretive skills. You've got that smoky voice that is perfect for this genre and for blues. In fact, if you really want to tackle the blues, try Adele's "Rolling in the Deep."

Or some Bonnie Raitt stuff. I know she is often thought of as a country singer, but really, it's hardcore blues.

In fact, I think it would be cool if you covered some ZZ Top from a female perspective. That would be some refreshing art.

So, all in all, good job. My points are stylistic, rather than technical problems.

Thanks for replying ronws again!

I do love blues to be honest, but very much more Jazz and 60s swings. I don't know of Bonnie Raitt, and I'lll give ZZ top a good listen.

The 'through-the-nasal sound is something I want to overcome. I think I might be trying to hard to sound like someone else, or I don't know where to breathe from. Ends up sound a little Brittany Spears imo.

How do you mean but interpretive skills? I know if I'm singing with a group of people in harmonies, if someone else singing my harmony stops I have this odd tendency to immediately blend or sing someone elses harmony without noticing. I probably don't have enough strength with my voice. :/

While I've heard Adele's songs, I haven't tried singing them. But I'll give that particular song a go !

(Also, does anyone have reccomendation on mics in general. I record with the basic functions of my laptop. The background noise is unappealing).

Here's one of my favorite Bonnie Raitt songs.

Interpretation. How you view the story in the song, how you present it. Soft, loud, tough, soft. It's an emotional thing.

As for mics, I have two. A Fame CM-1 studio condenser (very inexpensive). And a Senheisser e835, suitable for high tenors, like me, also not to expensive. In fact, you will probably spend more on a usb interface for it, than the mic.