Listen to my first ever recording and cover?

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hello!

I just recorded myself singing for the first time, and it's a cover song (:

I would love tips on improving, programs I could use for recording, and all that - it would be really helpful! Please excuse the horrid quality, it was recorded on a laptop d:

Thanks and here's the link! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHNvHTNdQaE&feature=youtu.be

Hi Sionna

I think you have a potentially nice voice but as you say the recording quality wasn't great and also you were singing too softly. There is a way to sing softly but still get enough breath into the delivery to maintain a reasonable volume and it sounded to me like you were feeling a bit self conscious and deliberately keeping it quiet? There are others on here who can offer more technical feedback but my non technical advice would be to sing out loud like you don't care who's listening.

In terms of equipment - really that depends on your budget but you can pick up a decent USB mic for about £35/$50 in the Samson Go Mic and Audacity is a free recording application which will let you make reasonable quality recordings.

Obviously another advice would be to have lessons but that's not always an option depending on cost - regardless I'd love to hear another recording from you sung with more confidence and using better gear.

You already removed the video. That was quick.

Recording software, Audacity, free download. Don't forget to find a free download of an LAME mp3 encoder for exporting to mp3.

A number of mics. However, if you get the Zoom H1, you can record quick bits on there and you can also use it like a USB mic.

Otherwise, you would want some kind of usb interface that accepts a mic cable.