Man in the Mirror (1st Verse)- PLEASE CRITIQUE

• TMV World Legacy Member

Sing closer to the mic.

And you are changing keys in the song. Pick one and stick with that. You might have a problem with intervals (distance between notes.) Once you stick with a certain key or dominant tone, this should clear up.

Ron's right about the changing of keys. It is strange because you can obviously sing a melody (as opposed to someone who is obviously tone deaf) but you obviously just aren't hearing it right in your head. As has been said on the Hallelujah post - try singing to a backing track and try to find a way to listen to yourself as you sing using monitors or headphones.

Ok, I'm music illiterate, so how would I train myself to hear pitch? Are there any good online or literary resources where I can learn more about these sort of things?

It isn't so much training yourself to hear pitch as to replicate what you hear. I generally take the view that if you just listen and sing along with the track quietly in the background then you will hear where your pitch doesn't match. Also - slow it down a bit to give yourself more time to visualise the next note - you were singing Man In The Mirror a lot faster than the original.

Obviously the surefire solution is to get a vocal coach but if that isn't an option there are some good online courses and loads of videos on YouTube that are very good.